CCNP Lab + CCNA Voice Equip

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by TommyTee, Mar 22, 2010.

1. TommyTee

TommyTee Byte Poster

Hey you're thinking, pick one or the other. In fact I am yet to finish my icnd2 but i'm kinda planning ahead personally for the CCNA stuff I have found the simulators I have used really good (boson has some great step-by-step labs), i kinda don't really understand why people often hate on using sims so much, apart from actually plugging the cables in surely they are pretty much the same and save a lot of money and hassle?

Saying that i've also heard that for CCNP stuff a lab IS required and for CCNA voice it seems a sim isn't really possible and i've had zero hands on with voice so it's more learning than doing a cert for certs sake.

There is quite a lot of advice out there for building a CCNP labs but I was planning to do the CCNA Voice first and wanted to buy equipment that would ideally suit both needs.

Budget wise I would obviously not like to spend too much but at the same time do not want to restrict myself too much on unavailable features that would help me. Ebay is fine and I would probably say £750 tops, how does that sound?

Thanks in advance, I'm not looking for huge replies but more general advice and criticisms on my planning.

2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

If you want CCNA Voice equipment, a UC500 is a necessity. If you don't want to go to that expense, Boson's CCNA Voice ExSim-Max practice exam contains a couple of questions that simulate the UC500 Cisco Configuration Assistant interface. To my knowledge, there are no other companies that offer UC500 simulations.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. TommyTee

TommyTee Byte Poster

Thanks again. I actually use/have been using boson for the ICND1 and 2 and it's been helpful especially because of the labs and explanations. I take it this program isn't labs as such but testlet type things and exam type quizes?

I'm still weighing up exactly what I want to do about this. I know real equipment is the best but space is a bit of an issue here and i've only got a few bits currently, heh. I kinda need a new PC anyway and that could tie in nicely with getting the emulator programs which require decent CPU power working well for bigger labs, though I know they're not 100% and features for wireless and voice aren't really perfect.

Off topic, but darn, wireless cisco equipment costs a mint. I'm guessing nobody creates a wireless lab just for a ccna:w.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2010
  4. BosonMichael

Yep - Boson has NetSim, which is a Cisco network simulator product, and ExSim-Max, which is a practice exam simulator product. Basically, it provides enough unique questions and answers to simulate taking the live exam three times.

Keep in mind that Boson's product is a simulator - it's not really Cisco's IOS under the hood, just a simulated version of it. Emulators, on the other hand, use Cisco's actual IOS, and as such, they violate Cisco's licensing. Thus, emulators aren't legal to use.

An 851W ISR can be had for around $300.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  5. TommyTee

TommyTee Byte Poster

Good advice thanks. Too many options :D.

I've always said that when I get to CCNP stuff I am going to take by time a lot more rather than give myself deadlines like I am doing no, so I think I will play it by ear. I've been impressed with Boson software though and the CCNP version looks like it has a lot of good material too.

6. BosonMichael

Shoot me a message if you need anything. I'm no sales rep, but I can answer questions. :)

7. TommyTee

TommyTee Byte Poster

Only thing I've been thinking about lately about the CCNP is how all the simulators, video training and books will be effective by the new CCNP exam root (switch, routing and troubleshooting)

8. BosonMichael

Well, I can tell you that we're currently revising all of our products to reflect the new exams. ;)