ccna1 passed last year going onto ccna2

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by jellybelly1979, Jan 9, 2006.

1. jellybelly1979

jellybelly1979 New Member

Hi

Last year I started to do my CCNA at the networking academy, I passed in September, but the college wasnt running the sem2 ccna due to lack of numbers. After a few months I decided to start doing an mcp in xp pro which leads onto mcp in server 2003. I have my Mcp exam at the end of this month.

Thing is, My tutor has just got in touch to say that enrolment for the sem2 course starts on wednesday. Idealy I wanted to do quite a bit of revision of the sem1 stuff before starting as I'm a little rusty on a few of the things we did in sem1.

Does anyone know if sem2 is as intensive on the theory as sem1, I know the tutor mentioned that it wasnt as bad. I'm just worried that if I do go into this sem2 "cold" I may get left behind.

On the other hand, I could put the sem2 ccna course on hold till may 06(although, no gaurentee this will run) and concentrate on the mcps on xp and server 03.

If I had to choose between the 2 I'd go for cisco as thats where I wanna be, but it does seem like a waste of money if i dont finish my mcp's

What do you think?
    any opinions welcomed.

cheers

2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

From experience CCNA 2 is one of the hardest semesters you will do from a technical perspective.

As someone who is sitting the Online Final for Semester 4 tonight this is how I found it:

Sem 1: Straight forward
    Sem 2: Very Technical, hardest semester for me personally
    Sem 3: Again very technical, not quite as hard as Sem 2. (Think that I was better prepared)
    Sem 3: Fairly straight forward, simply expanding on existing skills.

8)

3. jellybelly1979

cheers,

Would you say it is pretty new "stuff" that you are learning or do you have to be red hot on the fundamentals from sem1?

I guess it wouldnt take me long to get back upto speed with the 1st sem, but you know how difficult it can be if you fall behind, I dont wanna be falling behind in the first couple of weeks

4. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

A lot of it is new stuff, but again you do have to be familliar with what was covered in Sem 1, as each semseter builds on the previous one.

8)

5. jellybelly1979

head in books time methinks!

6. tweety

tweety New Member

Hi there, i am currently in the middle of semester 3. I found that when i finished sem 1 and started sem 2 that the whole course changer for me. Sem 2 was great, pretty difficult though but all the same it far outweighed the first semester. Sem 2 is a great introduction to configuring the hardware, routing protocols and access-lists etc. I think you may enjoy it as it is far more hands on than studying. Happy networking from glasgow. :biggrin

WIP: CCNA semester 3