CCNA - Workbook to use with GNS3

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by iRock, Jun 12, 2008.

1. iRock

iRock Nibble Poster

I'm using GNS3 at home to practice router configuration/commands for the CCNA.
    I'm just wondering is there a workbook with a recommended topology/tasks to carry out that I can use with GNS 3?

Any feedback appreciated.

Cheers,

iRock

Certifications: MCP (270,290), MCTS Vista
    WIP: 291,293,297
  2. iRock

iRock Nibble Poster

Anyone?

3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

You mean, GNS3, which is used with Dynamips, which requires that you use Cisco's IOS outside of the Cisco hardware, which is a violation of Cisco's licensing, right?

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. iRock

iRock Nibble Poster

That would be the software but I am asking a question about a workbook.

GNS3 is a great open source project. I've just made a donation to the project this week - its unbelievable.

I know what your getting at, what I use my software for in my own home is my own business - I do not for one second encourage software piracy/exploitation.

I have not requested anything illegal/encouraged any illegal activities on these forums as regards to software/IOS licensing so I would prefer if you would keep comments like this to yourself in future. I have not broken any forum rules that I am aware of - although I realise I may be wrong. Please feel free to correct me as I'm sure you will.

Thanks,

iRock

5. BosonMichael

No, asking for a GNS3 workbooks is not illegal. However, using Cisco's IOS outside of Cisco's hardware is against Cisco's licensing, and they confirmed that for me when I asked them: link.

Go right ahead and use it if you want... I'm simply making you aware that it's against Cisco's licensing to do so - it is a violation of copyright law.

As far as keeping the comments to myself... perhaps you ought to let the moderator staff decide that. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  6. iRock

iRock Nibble Poster

Perhaps so, I assumed you were a moderator because of your high post count here but I guess I'm wrong.
    Either way I think that it is unfair to push/encourage boson products on this forum just because you are a member (and I'm sure a very genuine person). Boson products are great but I think this approach to marketing their products is very wrong.

I'm just going to leave it at that.

In respect of you comment above I will now reword my question:

Can anyone recommend a workbook that includes topologies/exercises for CCNA?
    I've gone through the Cisco Press and Sybex book and work with Cisco products on a daily basis in a multisite/international environment - I just want to get some stuff to run over in my spare time to polish up on some of my weaker spots.

All constructive comments very welcome.

Thanks,

iRock

7. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

I would retract your accusation of BM using CF for marketing purposes. If you don't then this thread will turn into a heated debate and will end up locked WITHOUT your original question being answered. BM is a very respected member of CF - if he were doing what you have accused him of doing then his post count would never have reached 50 nevermind 9,000!

It's your choice.

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  8. iRock

iRock Nibble Poster

Sorry but I wont. From my point of view his use of the forum is mostly pragmatic. Thats my opinion.

If a moderator wants to lock a thread please do so. I refuse to be told what to think by someone else. I have a mind of my own and I prefer to use it.

9. Finkenstein

Finkenstein Kilobyte Poster

iRock, I usually don't get involved in issues like these, but one thing that Mike does not do is force Boson products on people. He is the first person to make multiple suggestions to those looking for study materials, and in my opinion has always been fair in doing so. He never even mentioned Boson in this thread either. In addition, he is a very respected person on these forums, and for very good reason!

I don't think you are wrong in having your opinions and preferences, however the way in which you have presented yourself in this thread is very defensive. We are all from different backgrounds and have our own preferences, and that is ok. We just need to exercise tolerance and politeness with one another!

Certifications: MCP, Network+, CCENT, ITIL v3
    WIP: 640-822
  10. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

I think you will struggle to find one thread where BM forces Boson products. Even when someone posts about many different training products, including Boson, BM will often suggest using the demos first to find out which product is best for that person.

Also I don’t get involved in these kind of threads either but your comments are way off the mark which is not fair on BM who has made a big contribution to this forum. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  11. iRock

iRock Nibble Poster

Lets leave it at that so

12. BosonMichael

But... I don't push Boson products on this, or any other, forum. If I did, I'd be banned.

13. mku_72

mku_72 New Member

Not very hard to google "CCNA Workbook" and click the first link...

14. diesel

diesel Bit Poster

Or to check the dates on previous threads.:thumbleft