CCNA to divide or not to divide?

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by Muso, Apr 13, 2009.

1. Muso

Muso Bit Poster

Hello chaps

I've decided I am going to do the CCNA now I realise is it possible to take two exams or one. Obviousley doing the all in 1 involves more risk but will be quicker and cheaper. But if I do the first part I will get the CCNEP and then be able to get the second part in my own time, might take longer and cost more.
    Previousley I got my N+ about a year ago now so I'm wondering if it will cover more of the information just having to memorise more command lines etc. I'm currently working in telecommunications (VOIP) and will be able to use some switches hopefully by working with the networks team.

Anyway I was wondering what you guys would suggest? I plan to do this self study as Ive done my N+ & A+ self study, I actually found the N+ easier than the A+. I have a degree in computer science which I achieved back in 2002.

Many thanks

2. Gav

Gav Kilobyte Poster

I can't comment on the content of the exams, but doing the two exams is about £10 cheaper :D

3. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

The single CCNA exam is really aimed at people who need to renew their CCNA. If you do take it and pass, you will get CENT and CCNA but it may be an easier route to go the two exam option.

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  4. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

There will be some overlap, as both are networking certs. However the Network+ is broader as it is non-vendor specific. The CCNA is more indepth as it is geared up towards a specific vendors technology.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  5. -Mercury-

-Mercury- Byte Poster

Go the two exam route, you will be very pressed for time on the single exam from what I hear.

Certifications: MCSA|MCDST|A+|Net+
    WIP: CCENT