CCNA thro microsoft?

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by Meg_D, Sep 15, 2008.

1. Meg_D

Meg_D New Member

I was wondering if anyone here has done the home study CCNA with Microsoft? I have spoken with microsoft and the cost is £700 including exam fee - Feels a bit wierd tho that I could be learning Cisco stuff with Microsoft :rolleyes:

Certifications: CompTIA A+
    WIP: Cisco CCNA
  2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Hi and welcome to CF!

Are you sure it is Microsoft, and not just a Microsoft partner?

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

There are alot of Microsoft Partner's, academy's, etc that with their names/logo, etc "imply" that they are Microsoft. I've never heard of MS offering Cisco courses, as MS has hundreds of their own courses that they like to push (especially when it comes to their own technology). The only thing that I've come across is MSPress printing Network+ books, but that's it.

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. Meg_D

Meg_D New Member

5. Sparky

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  6. Meg_D

Meg_D New Member

Sparky u r correct - have had another look and it is OpenIT. I have never heard of them - so I won't be taking the CCNA course with them - Makes me uncomfortable when companies hide behind a well known name. I will have another look at more courses with other vendors

7. Sparky

It is a convincing website, does look very ‘Microsoft’ :ohmy

Have you considered buying a couple of books for the CCNA? I have this one..

Link: http://www.amazon.co.uk/CCNA-Certif...=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1221513398&sr=8-2

Just skimming over it just now as I’m concentrating on MS certs but it looks like a good read.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  8. Meg_D

Meg_D New Member

Yes the book does look good - I have decided I am going to self study the ccna - no help from money grabbing vendors - just good books and this web site :biggrin Wooooo feels good - Saved myself a few hundred pounds. TechRepublic have sum good guides etc to help with certs

9. Sparky

Cool, best of luck :thumbleft

10. The_Dark_Side

The_Dark_Side Bit Poster

Hi Guys,

I found that the company in question was once Blue logic Media. They dissolved about 2 years ago and the same owners reformed as UK Open IT, their main domain today is MicrosoftUk.co.uk.
    We had dealing with this company when it dissolved and we purchased Microsoft MCSE training at the time with 7 exams. Suffice to say we never got to take the exams as the company dissolved!
    I have looked up this "new" company on companies house and the details are below:
    Name & Registered Office:

UK OPEN IT LTD
    21 THE MALTINGS ROYDON ROAD
    STANSTEAD ABBPTTS
    HERTFORDSHIRE
    SG12 8HG
    Company No. 06570069

Date of Incorporation: 18/04/2008

Country of Origin: United Kingdom

Company Type: Private Limited Company
    Nature of Business (SIC(03)):
    None Supplied

Accounting Reference Date: 30/04
    Last Accounts Made Up To: (NO ACCOUNTS FILED)
    Next Accounts Due: 18/01/2010
    Last Return Made Up To:
    Next Return Due: 16/05/2009

So to answer your question, steer clear, they probably won't be around long enough for you to complete your training.
    Check out companies before you buy from them, make sure they have been around for at least a few years; go to Comapnies House
    Sometimes a good book and the internet is all you need!

11. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

I saw this

Which is probably reasonable,however it doesnt mention the likely overqualifying for the roles you apply for.

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  12. bilmen666

bilmen666 New Member

Sorry to necro this but a student has informed me of this thread and ‘The_Dark_Side’ so I did a bit of research onto his posts... He always give bad reviews on other IT training companies except e-careers, chances are he works for them or something.

Abit of background about me and some clarification on Open IT, my name is Darren Bilmen and I am the owner of Open IT. I have never owned any other company and we used to work under the trading name Southstepltd which has been going for 16 years. Earlier this year we no longer need their account system as we’ve outgrown it and decided to rebrand ourselves as Open IT at the same time.

I hope I have cleared up the false accusations and good luck with your studies and IT careers :)

13. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I had this when I look at a company called compTIA.uk they also went under the name of microsoft.uk but were really something else.

Glad you have informed us, the darkside may very well work for them I'll leave that for him to explain if he see's this. It always sends alarm bells ringing though if you get what you think is the name of a place and it is actually something else.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  14. sharkfin

sharkfin New Member

So has anyone ever sucessfully used openittraining.com or microsoftuk.com? If so how much did you pay and for what?

15. Ergath

Ergath Bit Poster

I'm studying with openit training at the moment. They provide Mindleaders online courses, and transcender mocks, which is all well and good. However, I'm deeply unhappy for several reasons:

a) I thought I was buying a course direct from Microsoft :oops: maybe it was a stupid mistake, but it is clearly a deliberately misleading URL, and there's nothing on the site to disabuse you of the notion. I'm amazed that MS haven't had them in court over this.

b) My course "tutor" is generally unhelpful, and some of the online materials are out of date and/or incomplete.

c) This is the biggy - my "tutor" has sent me Testking braindumps to revise from - describing them as "mocks". I had no idea they were against the rules until Dales put me in the picture on another forum. It'd never occurred to me that I could be sent illigitimate material by my training company - after all, I bought through Microsoft, right? :x

My advice? Steer well clear of this deeply dodgy company.

Certifications: MCP 70-270
    WIP: 70-290
  16. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

My advice - report them to Microsoft. If you have documentary evidence of a 'trainer' supplying you with braindumps, then the 'trainer' should be sacked and the test centre closed. This, I would imagine, would be especially relevant when the 'training' company in question is so blatantly using Microsoft's name to pull students in. it might also get you a reward (though I'm not sure whether MS provide this for people grassing up dodgy test centres)

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  17. greenbrucelee

You might get a free xbox :D

As Zeb said report this guy/company to Microsoft it's companies like this that devalue certifications and piss us hardworking guys off because you get some numpty working with you who f****s things up and leaves a big mess for you to clear up.

18. Ergath

Ergath Bit Poster

By Test Centre do you mean the provider or the place where I sat the exam? The exam centre was fine and by-the-book. As for reporting openittraining, I see that the Director is a member here, let's see if he wants to comment first. In the meantime I wouldn't be suprised if word got back to Certguard.

19. greenbrucelee

Not the test center but the people who supplied the BDs, if certguard don't see this, I may email certguard Robert myself and put a link from this thread.

You won't get into trouble so don't worry about that.

20. Ergath

Ergath Bit Poster

OK. I'll email the owner and ask what action he's going to take about this- I'll send him a link to here and invite him to comment.