CCNA Study

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by ethernet0, Jan 15, 2011.

1. ethernet0

ethernet0 Byte Poster

After much debating (with myself) on where, or what, to do next I have eventually decided on the CCNA.

I have at my disposal:

Cisco Packet Tracer 5.3.1
    CBT Nuggets (ICND1+2)
    Hard copy Study Guide (Todd Lammle)
    Testing Engine

I was told that the packet tracer will suffice at this level and to be honest I have neither the funds or the room to set up a lab at present.

Clearly I won't know when I will be prepared to take on the test but I am hoping around 4-5 months... is this a little too optimistic?

Any other study resources/tips you can recommend would be great.

2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

What is Testing Engine?

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. ethernet0

ethernet0 Byte Poster

Transcender with CCNA pack.

I haven't purchased the pack yet but will as I progress. I have used them since my 1st MCP2K exam, however I am taking a look at Boson products and shall try out the demo before my final decision.

4. billyr

billyr Kilobyte Poster

That'll be enough to see you through no problem.

Have you thought about ditching the CBT Nuggets? As good a resource as it is you could probably pick up a couple of 2600 series routers and 2 x 2950 switches to make a decent lab for the same price. The Lammle book i'd say is enough to get you through on it's own with plenty hands on lab practice.

There's a lot to be gained pulling your hair out fault finding a WAN link only to discover that you've either not connected the cable or you have the head on the wrong way round :)

Certifications: CCNP, CCSI, MCSE W2k/W2k3, MCITP_SA
    WIP: Taking it easy for a while.
  5. ethernet0

ethernet0 Byte Poster

I'm going to do some pricing up on ebay.

To be honest the packet tracer and nuggets were given to me by a guy at work who has recently passed, but I am thinking there is no replacement for hands on, so I will follow your recommendations.

Thanks Billyr

6. BosonMichael

You were using Transcender's products back when I wrote for them, then. I left after Self Test bought Transcender and started outsourcing their writing to India. Supposedly, they've stopped the practice, but it doesn't matter - many of Transcender's former employees now work for Boson.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  7. BosonMichael

Well, that's likely to be tricky. See, it's not legal for people to resell their old CBT stuff on eBay, nor can it be used by multiple people... it's a single-user non-transferrable license. Same thing with practice exams.

8. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

My impression was that he is going to look on Ebay for old kit to use in a lab.

I'd second this choice. I'd say it's more beneficial, and also makes the studying more fun.

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  9. BosonMichael

Yep, that'd be fine. But the comment was also directed at the other half of the quoted text, where he got the study materials for free from a co-worker. This is also against the licensing terms.

10. danielno8

Well then the comment about being tricky doesn't make sense. In his post he said he was not planning to use those study materials, and was instead going to get some kit on ebay. Nothing tricky about that.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2011
  11. BosonMichael

Okay, fine... I'm sure he understands what we mean now. Must I go back and change my post so you can understand, Daniel?

12. ethernet0

ethernet0 Byte Poster

Yes, I knew what you meant. I knew when I wrote it that the licensing was bound to be highlighted.

However, I will be using live lab equiptment instead. I am planning to do the Juniper Associate exam first anyhow so it may be a few months before I start my CCNA preparation.

As for transcenders, I remember people complaining at the standard when it was bought, now I know the reason why.

Thank you both for the input.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2011
  13. danielno8

Nope. Just if your gonna talk in such a way, at least make sure you're making sense.

14. BosonMichael

It does not surprise me that you don't understand. Not that it matters; the OP understood.

15. danielno8

You quoted the wrong post, because in that one he wasn't talking about using materials illegally. In that post he said he was NOT going to use materials illegally, and he WAS going to look on ebay for lab kit.

As i said, nothing tricky about that.

I, as the OP did, understood that you were speaking about illegally buying/using materials. What didn't make sense is WHY you chose to give your smart arse "that's going to be tricky" comment under a post which detailed nothing which is tricky.

16. BosonMichael

It also does not surprise me that you would pick my post apart, considering your long history of trolling me. :rolleyes:

17. danielno8

My only reason for doing so is i don't like the way you choose to speak to people sometimes.

18. BosonMichael

There's nothing wrong with "how I chose to speak to Ethernet0". But if you disagree... do you see that little ! at the top of the post? If you don't like it, report it.

Then again, I've told you this before, so I don't expect you'll pay much attention to it this time either.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2011
  19. billyr

billyr Kilobyte Poster

Get a room you guys. :hug:lovly

Certifications: CCNP, CCSI, MCSE W2k/W2k3, MCITP_SA
    WIP: Taking it easy for a while.
  20. Rebecca

Rebecca Banned

www.spamspam.com

This site has a decent and FREE CCNA practice test. You can try it and see where you are and then work on from there. I found it good and when ever I take it, it gives me different question, also gives answer key and explanation at the end of test.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 1, 2011