CCNA self Study, possible for me??

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by Guizas, Aug 9, 2005.

1. Guizas

Guizas New Member

I guys ok, to help u guys answer my doubts, ill give some information about what i know and my experience.
    well ive got 1 year experience in Hardware, Software, Windows 2000server, basic network configuration, building networks from scratch and so on.

My qualifications, ive got a electronics and informatics(IT) course 3 years with equivalence to A-Levels and a Linux network and server administration course.

At the moment im at working at Mcdonalds(cr*p) thats because im portuguese and been in Uk for 1 year, all of my qualifications have been taken in Portugal.

Ok the Thing is ive got some books Sybex, and testking, exams simulation Boson, CBT and a couple more, and some router sims and e-labs, and more important ive got a 4 cd CBT Nuggets training course with more than 16 hours video.

My question is, will all this and a 2 months time be enough to study and be prepared to do a CCNA, and about jobs if i make it through the CCNA and with my background, would i have good chances to get a medium payed job lets say 8.5 a hour for start (London obviously)??

Im sorry about all the questions, but i just want to make sure if im safe to go through with this, coz i really want to start a network career and stop doing BigMacs :dry :dry .

Thank you ever so much Guys

2. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

hi welcome to CF!!! :D

i havent tried the CCNA but im sure lots of guys will help you out.. but like i have said to other ppl coming here.. .DONT USE TESTKINGS!!! - seriously the full of useless information and you really learn nothing rather stick to the questions in the books and buy proper practice questions from cisco....

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  3. The_Geek

The_Geek Megabyte Poster

Well, here my .02.

Hands on exp is a must for CCNA. I thought I was semi-smart until I started working on my CCNA.

Do yourself a favor. Go to Ebay and search for a couple of used Cisco 1720 series routers. You're probably going to spend a few hundred dollars on them, but you'll get most of it back when you're finished and resell them.

Certifications: CompTIA and Micro$oft
    WIP: PDI+
  4. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I got my CCNA almost 3 years ago and I can tell you that it would be quite difficult to pull it off without hands on experience with Cisco equipment. If you've worked in an IT department with Cisco equipment, you might be able to pull it off if you had access to the routers and switches and had some of the Cisco Press books but if you've never laid eyes on a catalyst switch, let alone consoled into one, you'd be hard pressed to pass, even with the text study materials.

I did the first 4 "semesters" of the Cisco Netacademy which included in class instruction and live labs with Cisco equipment and I still had to study the texts for another 4 months before I felt I was ready.

The CCNA exam has several "flash" items which uncannily simulate consoling into an actual router or switch. The only command (that I found) that were not supported was auto completion and I'm sure that was strategic on Cisco's part since they want you to remember the entire command and not just the first part.

JMHO here. :)

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  5. Guizas

Guizas New Member

What about that router simulators, or lab simulators are they recommended, should i used them regulary or should i just buy a router, and mess around with it until i know what i do, and feel confortable with it???

6. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

The Boson Router simulators are good, but you'd still be better off buying a couple of real routers. Nothing makes you learn better than using 'real' equipment.

Speaking as someone who is about to start the Cisco Network Academy Semester 4 I'd say that you will need a lot more time than just two months to prepare to take the CCNA. There are a lot of other things on the CCNA other than just configuring routers and switches, i.e. Calculating subnets and working out binary, so unless you already know this stuff give your self more time.

8)