CCNA: Security

Discussion in 'Network Security' started by craigie, May 19, 2010.

1. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

I'm thinking about adding this to my to do list.

Just wanted some advice from any members who are CCNA: Security certified.

My current Cisco workload is as follows:

60% PIX
    20% ASA
    20% Routers

Would you say that the CCNA: Security is suitable or would gunning for the CCSP be more applicable?

Last edited: May 19, 2010
    Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

The CCNA: Security is a prerequisite for the CCSP.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. billyr

billyr Kilobyte Poster

I believe the CCNA:Security is now a pre-req for the CCSP Craigie.

I think your workload would cover a lot of the areas. Looking at the requirements it seems a bit heavy on the SDM. Thinking of having a crack at it myself but I just can't get motivated at the moment. Need a good kick up the backside.

Certifications: CCNP, CCSI, MCSE W2k/W2k3, MCITP_SA
    WIP: Taking it easy for a while.
  4. billyr

billyr Kilobyte Poster

Damn, your too quick BM.

Certifications: CCNP, CCSI, MCSE W2k/W2k3, MCITP_SA
    WIP: Taking it easy for a while.
  5. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Thanks chaps didn't realise it was a pre requisite.

I loathe the SDM & only use the ADSM when forced trend eg micro stuff

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  6. BosonMichael

Yeah, I don't like it either... but it's tested quite a bit.

I believe PIX is no longer covered on either the CCNA: Security or CCSP.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  7. BosonMichael

Your post still had more value than mine! After all, you included your opinion! :thumbleft

8. TommyTee

TommyTee Byte Poster

Unfortunately the SDM is an important part of the cert. I don't like using it either, though some of the auditing tools are useful the actual implementation stuff is tiresome not to mention the fact it never seemed to work well on my machines.

9. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

We have been trying to get clients to upgrade to the ASA's but as the PIX's just work they don't see the need!

The problem is when clients want to buy them, they are out of stock, at the moment if you want an ASA5505 or ASA5510 you are looking at a few months waiting time.

So lately we have been using the Cisco 876 routers with 10 x 3DES tunnels if it is a branch office. Not ideal but clients aren't prepared to wait months.

10. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

I tried to use it when I did the CCNA, failed to load because we had a newer version of Java installed.

If I'm going to undertake the exam at some point in the future, I need to give it another shot :D

11. TommyTee

TommyTee Byte Poster

I tried on about 3 pcs with different OS and still hard partial luck. The additional tabs portion never opened and that is where I needed to spend 50% of my time in :/

12. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

Certifications: MCDST|FtOCC
    WIP: MCSA(70-270|70-290|70-291)
  13. BosonMichael

Yep, those PIXs are great! :)

Fixed. :twisted:

14. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

lol BM, I still don't get why they would want you to use it, I've seen it mash up a config in seconds with the evil wizards

Certifications: MCDST|FtOCC
    WIP: MCSA(70-270|70-290|70-291)
  15. BosonMichael

I dunno... it's like they're wanting to force techs to start giving the GUI a try... "Try it, you'll liiiiike it!" Errr... not so much. :D