CCNA qualified, little experience, am i employable?

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by Bobbytj, Apr 24, 2009.

1. Bobbytj

Bobbytj New Member

Hi everyone,

This is my first post (first of many hopefully). Basically im hoping for somebody to advice me on what job path to take. If i can give you a little background of myself first, it will help with the bigger picture!

I completed a HND in Business IT at university, and i also gained the CCNA whilst there. After uni i spent most of my time travelling, but when i was back here i managed to support myself by doing the odd website. Nothing fancy, just for small individual's or small business.

2 years ago i got a job at a small construction company with my primary role being a general office manager. The office was fully kitted out with cisco gear, and i did get hands on with the switches, nothing crazy, just a bit of Vlan and port security. the company had around 12 pcs, so was a small size, but the cisco gear interconnected to the business next door, and i did look at issues for them. As my CCNA had expired i resat the exam, and now i am a full CCNA again. I was looking at doing my CCNP, and hopefully geting a new job, but before i could the company went bankrupt! I was using the abundance of cisco gear to train on, but i also have my own lab at home!

I suppose my question is, am i employable to work on cisco gear? although i have my CCNA, i do have limited real life experience, and this was gained in a small office environment, that probably did not need me to be CCNA qualified! what sort of jobs do you think i should be applying for? I am really keen to progress in the cisco world, and having already started studying for my CCNP.

Any help would be much appreciated

Certifications: HND BIT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

You are certainly employable but wether that is with CISCO kit is debateable.

The reason I say this is the CCNA is quite a high level cert it is supposed to actually show that you already have been working in that area the same goes for certs like the MCSA and MCSE.

You may get a job with it but I highly doubt any sane network manager would let you anywhere near their CISCO gear with no real experience.

We have had people on here before who have had certs like the CCNA and MCSE but with no experience and they have actually had to hide the mention of those certs on their cv when applying for jobs.

Good luck

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. Bobbytj

Bobbytj New Member

thanks for your reply. I have actual real world experience on switches, and although i have not experienced a big production network, i do know the theory ehind. I appreciate there is a big difference between knowing the theory and actually carrying this out on a full scale network, so i guess my question is, what kind of job can i apply for? i was not hoping to apply for a junior position, but i do want to be able to eventually work on the cisco gear.

Certifications: HND BIT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  4. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Junior,trainee, entry level positions or find a job as an IT tech in smallish firm were you will gain exposure to many different areas which will include cisco gear at some point.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?