CCNA or SERVER MCSE

Discussion in 'Network Security' started by heavy__1, Feb 10, 2010.

1. heavy__1

heavy__1 New Member

Hi i enrolled on a course at JustIT in london i have achieved the following qualifications

• CompTIA A+ Essentials
    • CompTIA A+ Technician
    • MCSA Windows XP Professional

i am now currently working within a datacentre as an engineer :) i am now going to go on and study further my question is if i want to go into the networking field in the future would it be worth me completing the server exam or am i wasting my time? would it be best for me to just study icnd1?

2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Do you have any server or router administration experience? If so, how much?

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. heavy__1

heavy__1 New Member

i have taken the server 2003 course but not passed the exam, i dont know whether the time and effort is worth it or not? or should i just move straight onto icnd1?

4. BosonMichael

Not courses... not exams... do you have any real-world IT experience with those technologies? If not, certification's not gonna help you a great deal. Certification's to show employers what you already have experience doing... not what you want to be doing.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  5. heavy__1

heavy__1 New Member

i have worked in 1st line support it role for 2 months voluntary work for experience

now i am working in a datacentre so will be exposed more to the networking side of things.

please advise.
    thank you.

6. BosonMichael

I'd recommend that you pursue the Network+ and MCDST certifications at this point in your career.

When you've got about 6 months of server admin experience (NOT just IT experience... specifically server admin experience), I'd recommend that you begin pursuing the MCSA.

When you start touching Cisco routers in a production IT environment, I'd recommend that you pursue the CCENT/CCNA.

7. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

what he said ^

Certs like the CCNA etc are designed to show an employer that you have the experience in the workplace not that you can pass an exam. No network manager in their right mind will employ a CCNA who doesn't have experience.

There are certs to show you are ready to learn and get experience and certs that are for experienced people.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  8. Big Brotha

Big Brotha Bit Poster

Do you have the full MCSA or just the 70-270 Microsoft Windows XP exam pass? It's not too clear.

I assume that you've paid for the course already so unless you can get some sort of refund then you should continue, but if you find server too hard then you could try to negotiate with the training provider to switch your course to Network+ and possibly MCDST as BosonMichael recommended