CCNA on my own

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by Tim131, Jan 16, 2011.

1. Tim131

Tim131 Bit Poster

Hi all,

I'm wanting to get my CCNA and am just wondering if youse can give me a bit of information about it. Like what is the best way to study, is it possible on your own, how long would it take? I'm in a part time job just now, so have a fair bit of spare time in which I can study.

How much do exams cost? and generally how much did people study a day/week and how long before they took the exam?

Many thanks,

Tim

2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Do you have any IT experience mate?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. Tim131

Tim131 Bit Poster

Yeah bud, I've done my A+ (not IT Technican, so dont actually have the cert, but passed essentials) I did a HNC in computer maintenance, where I studied for my A+, studied some of the Network+ material, but am not certified.

I work in PC World just now yeah **** job, but I'm at the forefront of technology I guess, I've always been quite techy, did the first year of a BSc course in Computing Science, but didnt like the programming, so didn't continue with it.

I just read like a 200 slide presentation on someone of the stuff you need to know, looks really interesting, and can't wait to study it, I'm just wondering if there is any software like labsim available for CCNA, I'm going to look on youtube for videos etc.

But I reckon if I study a few hours a day, I should be able to get there, I just dont know the extent of the course, how deep it goes as such, so don't know if it would take weeks or months to complete.

Cheers,

Tim

4. Sparky

Nice one mate. Have you thought about doing some other certs as well?

It’s difficult to land a Cisco role with no hands on experience so perhaps you would want to improve your chances with a MS cert on your CV. When working in a server admin\network admin job you would have a better chance to work with Cisco kit.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  5. Tim131

Tim131 Bit Poster

Ah is that right? Yeah I've no real IT experience I'm afraid :(

I'm currently talking with a University, and they want me to do a networking degree, design and managment etc, and said they'd let me into second year with " Cisco Exploration Network Fundamentals" as far as I can see this is just a section of the CCNA and not an actual exam, I've been wanting to do the CCNA for a while, as networking is the route of employment I want to go down, so figured, I'm in a dead end job with crap hours, might as well use the time wisely and beter myself, whether it leads to a job or a degree, it doesnt matter.

I was looking at the MSCE a few years back, but didn't really see the benefit if I was wanting to go into networking, would you recomend it?

Cheers for the reply pal.

6. TheITCrowd

TheITCrowd Kilobyte Poster

Hi

I found http://www.cbtnuggets.com/series?id=410 very good, still watch em now...
    Just because you want to work in Networking, other qualifications would make you stand out more in a competitive market. Its all well and good knowing what is happening in the Cisco network but helps to know what is happening at the other end of it as well.
    Good Luck :biggrin

Certifications: Network + |CCNA |MCTS-70-680,MCTS-70-401, MCTS-70-656, MCTS-70-351 |HP AIS ProCurve Networking -2011 | HP2-896 |VCD-CP27|JNCIA |Hewlett Packard ASE - Network Infrastructure (2011)
    WIP: 642-813
  7. Sparky

Working in networking doesn’t just mean you will be working just with Cisco kit. You might be working with servers, firewalls, routers, switches etc. etc. In the long run the MCSE is worthwhile as you will almost certainly be working on a server running Server 2000\2003\2008 at some point.

Uni sounds good but when you graduate don’t expect to work on complex Cisco kit immediately. You will more than likely need to try and land an entry level IT job on a helpdesk or as desktop support to get started.

From there you will have more options though, I jumped up to network manager after 9 months on a helpdesk.

8. Tim131

Tim131 Bit Poster

Of course, I dont expect to land a great job straight out of university, tbh, I cant even get a full time retail job now, so believe me a helpdesk job would be wonderful ha.

All I know is, I really like networking and security and that sort of field, last year when I was doing the Bsc this confirmed it for me, I was miserable programming in java and doing sql databases and loads of maths, so I'm glad I did that year to realise that networking is what I want!

So I'm gonna study my ass off for the CCNA, and then maybe when I get that, over the summer could study for an MCSE or something before going to university (assuming I pass the CCNA and get in)

Anyways, thanks loads you've been really helpful :)

9. Sparky

No probs mate, the MCSE takes time though, 7 exams all in! If you were to get the CCNA that should be a big enough achievement before going to uni. 8)

10. karan1337

karan1337 Byte Poster

Well i would say u should establish a firm ground, like first completing your A+. As u said u studied a bit relating to N+ and u love networking (yeah, me too! :) ) so u could go and finish off N+. After getting these two, i think if u then start CCNA, u would have a good knowledge base and some confidence too about cert exams.

As sparky said, MCSE takes time along with experience. But basic certs can be grabbed quickly.

Best of luck with your cert route and Welcome to the Forums!

Last edited: Jan 17, 2011
    Certifications: MCP, MCDST, MCTS, Brainbench: XP and Vista [Master]
    WIP: Bachelors:Computer Science
  11. Tim131

Tim131 Bit Poster

Thanks for the reply,

In regards to the A+, I did the main one, essentials, but because I did it over a year ago, I can't take the IT Technician exam, so would have to pay to do all them again, which I simply can't afford, I think just now it wouldnt be that beneficial anyways, maybe when I run into a little more money I can see about doing that again, in regards to the Network +, its the same monetary problems, I wouldn't be able to afford both CCNA and N+. So what I'm doing just now is a juniper networking fundementals online course, which is really good, going to buy a CCNA book, and then see about finding some videos online, and see where they take me.

I would love to get my A+ and N+ again, but can't really jusitify the money costs just now, I think the CCNA would be the one to do, as I've been told I can get into the second year of a BSc Networking course :D

12. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

Sounds like you are talking about doing the same degree i did judging by your location :)

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  13. Tim131

Tim131 Bit Poster

ooh really? :D

I'm talking about the RGU one : Computer Network managment and design?

If so, how did you find it? worthwhile etc?

14. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

i wouldn't like to recommend it outright, as everyones situation is different. But if you want to get into networking, it's obviously a good degree to have.

For me, it has worked well. The course was not the greatest, a lot of filler material it seemed. But in your second half of 3rd year and first half of 4th year you get the opportunity to do a work placement. This made it alot easier to get a job when i left uni.

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  15. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I would recommend that you pursue the A+, Network+, and MCDST. The CCNA and MCSE are for people with a bit of real-world networking and server experience, respectively. They're good certs... but they're for later in your career... not early on.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  16. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

what he said ^

Having high level certs that are designed to show your job experience without that experience can be more harmful that having no certs at all.

No network manager will hire a ccna or mcse certified person to support their network without the experience that is supposed go along with those certs.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  17. Tim131

Tim131 Bit Poster

Hi all,

So I've decided I'm going to take the two exam route, so I'll be taking ICND1, I've finished the CBT nuggets course, but I don't know what to do now? I know all the stuff fine, but don't know if I'm ready? will there be extra stuff in the ICND1 that CBTnuggets wouldnt cover?

Can anyone suggest what I do next?

Cheers

18. ethernet0

ethernet0 Byte Poster

19. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  20. nephilim

nephilim Bit Poster

I am doing CCNA by myself, it is very difficult.

I have gone into my local college to do the practicals and I freeze up because its tough.

The theory I can grasp very well, but when it comes to putting it into practice, I freeze, literally I stumble and cannot continue. I do not know how the hell I will pass the whole thing, I have passed the exams fine but really struggled with the mock practical and actual practicals :(

Any help is appreciated.

Certifications: Comptia A+, MCSE,
    WIP: CCNA, CCNP, CCIE, MCDBA