CCNA lab

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by Sonicimage, May 20, 2014.

1. Sonicimage

Sonicimage Bit Poster

Hello,

I'm setting up the CCNA lab - 3 routers and 2 switches, but one more router and one more switch are on their way.
    I have server 2008 (2012 on the 2nd drive), and tried to log in to one router using TeraTerm. But I'm still confused how I could connect to several devices at the same time (i.e. having several windows open) without the need of running several console cables. I know it's possible to connect via network, but don't know how exactly it is done. Do I need internet connection for that?

On my server I have 2 NICs - one for the internet and one for the home lab (it's also a domain controller with a static IP address within my home network range). I think it is like this: first I connect to every device with a console cable and configure them with IP addresses for each interface to be used. Then I can connect from Putty using IP address of the device, so that it would be remote connection. Is it correct? Can I run several putty (or TeraTerm) sessions at the same time?

This is my first experience with live Cisco equipment - I've been doing labs so far where you just press the button to power up devices one by one, and several windows can be open at the same time. Please, give me some suggestions - any would be appreciated. Thanks.

Certifications: Bachelor of Art; City & Guilds Diploma in ICT Systems Level 2 & 3; MCTS: Active Directory; MCTS: Network Infrastructure; MCTS: Windows 7, Configuring; MCSA: Server 2008; CCENT; CCNA; MCSE: Server 2012
    WIP: MCSE: Server Infrastructure
  2. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

Im not 100% sure on this myself to be honest Sonic, but have you got physical equipment on the go here??

Have you tried using virtual machines which would replicate NICs. Or have you looked into using packet tracing software at all??

You wont need an internet connection, just an intranet connection, but my scope on all of this is limited somewhat.

Ed

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  3. Sonicimage

Sonicimage Bit Poster

Actually I found out that I needed an access/terminal server (router), from which I will connect to all the devices via an octal cable. I ordered one yesterday - 2511 router, with two ASYNCH ports to connect up to 16 devices!

Yes, I have Packet Tracer but wasn't bothered to learn how to use it. I think hardware hands-on experience is much better (Paul Browning says you can even put it on your CV). Though hardware lab has some disadvantages - plenty of cables, and additional power consumption. Now I even see that I don't have enough sockets for power cables - seven cisco devices + terminal server on its way + two PCs, so, imagine how many sockets are needed. Is there a better solution for that apart from having three power extensions?

Certifications: Bachelor of Art; City & Guilds Diploma in ICT Systems Level 2 & 3; MCTS: Active Directory; MCTS: Network Infrastructure; MCTS: Windows 7, Configuring; MCSA: Server 2008; CCENT; CCNA; MCSE: Server 2012
  4. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

I have a similar setup with my lab (3 routers, 3 switches), also (in addition) I have a 2511 access router, with 8 console line ins all connected to the console port of my other devices I used this guide to help me configure via putty (although this allows me access one server at a time)

Configuring a Cisco Access Server | Free CCNA Workbook

Also remember "control + shift + 6" then press X to come out of one of these sessions.

Few more commands for seeing what sessions are open etc and disconnect line as well as worth googling.

I did this setup first, however after a while I decided to set up a "management" VLAN with IP addresses on each switch and router so I can connect via MPutty (this gives me multiple tabs) using a normal network "straight through" cable plugged into one of my switches.

- - - Updated - - -

Power wise I got one of these, it has a on off switch for all the connections which is cool

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003CU7S28/ref=oh_details_o06_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited: May 21, 2014
    Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  5. Sonicimage

Sonicimage Bit Poster

Oh, that is the case - I thought you could open multiple windows in putty if you use an access server!

From this point of view live labs (online) are more convenient as every device has its own window.

Thanks for the link - I've just ordered that 8-way extension - may be enough now.

Where did you download MPuTTy from? Can you use it with the access server?

6. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

I did try mputty but couldn't get it to work (as you have either Console or IP address to connect to), I suppose you could open multiple connections to the access servers ip address but I didn't bother with this s it seemed easier to set up networking.

The way I use it. Mputty is for use when you have IP addresses connectivity setup to your laptop/PC

Normal putty if you connect via console port on the access server and then you telnet/SSH from there to the rest of the lab.

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  7. Coupe2T

Coupe2T Megabyte Poster

If you have all your devices on a management vlan as Kevicho mentions above, then you can use standard putty to connect to them all over IP, They will be in seperate windows but you can have more than one putty connection running at a time, whether it be via console or via IP.

Best bet in my mind is defo to get all devices onto a management vlan that you can connect to from your laptop/pc, simpler and easier in my opinion than running the access unit and also reduces power etc a little bit, not hugely but every little helps and all that!

Certifications: ECDL, Does that Count!?!