CCNA Lab Recommendations

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by genmud, Jan 28, 2008.

1. genmud

genmud New Member

So,

I know there are always questions on what people should get for labs. The following is what I would recommend for getting the best longevity for the price and availability of features... This will last you to CCIE

This is what I recommend to get the best bang for your bucks:
    Router: 3640 with max memory(MAX MEMORY RECOMMENDED FOR IOS 12.4 and CRYPTO FEATURES)
    Reasons for Recommendation:
    These routers I have used in my lab, and they are great all around routers. They are older, but have many more features than the 2600 and 2600xm's... They are capable of running a multitude of IOS images, including ENTERPRISE/SNASW PLUS IPSEC 3DES on 12.4.16 and IP/FW/IDS PLUS IPSEC 3DES on newest releases... This will give you the features needed to run SDM, EasyVPN, MPLS, BGP, Internal Routing Protocols, etc.
    Price: I picked up 3 3640's with an nm-2fe2w for roughly USD $380 on ebay, with shipping. If you choose to get a standard ethernet(not fast ethernet) you can pick one up between USD 180 and 250.

Overall I like them, and they should grow with you until your ccie :) Great value for the price.

Switch: 2900XL, 3500XL, 2950, 3550
    Reasons for Recommendation: These seem to have a lower price, and contain most of the features that are needed(802.1q, vtp, etc.) Mine have been stable and you can pick them up on ebay for not an arm and a leg depending on when you look.

Any other recommendations should be added here :)

Certifications: GCIA, CCNA, Tripwire, A+, NET+
    WIP: CCNP, CCIE
  2. Firemouse

Firemouse Bit Poster

Unless your really keen on dishing out the money for soem crazy lab setup, I'd recommend just downloading GNS if you havnt tried it yet... its free and is the best simulation software that you can get your hands on. It runs the real cisco IOS's so your not getting some crap, watered-down broken version like every other simulation software out there..

Certifications: CCNA, MCP
    WIP: CCNP
  3. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Please, what is the full abbreviation of GNS... as I couldn't find anything under google for this software closest was global network solutions europe but no downloads. Thanks in advance.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  4. Firemouse

Firemouse Bit Poster

Certifications: CCNA, MCP
    WIP: CCNP
  5. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Thanks firemouse, that's very helpful.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  6. speters

speters New Member

Hi,

Would anyone recommend an 850 series router and a 2950 switch for a basic startup lab for CCNA? Or would it be better to go for one of the labs on eBay, with a set of 2600 routers and 2900-XL switches?

Cheers

7. phatboy

phatboy Nibble Poster

for switches, 2900XL isnt really up to the job. The commands for SSH access are different, they dont support range commands, and something else but I cant remember right now!
    I replaced mine with a pair of 2950's, and they are absolutely fine for the CCNA as far as im concerned

Certifications: CCNA R&S, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CCA 5.0, MCP 70-290 70-270 70-431
    WIP: CCNP R&S, CCNA Wireless
  8. speters

speters New Member

Thanks for the advice. I have two 2950's on their way for Saturday :-)

Now to decide on a router model... Any suggestions? I heard that the 851 is decent and has all the latest features needed for CCNA. And fairly cheap at ~£150 brand new. But I'd like to be covered up to CCNP, if I decide to go for it in the future.

Cheers

9. mke

mke Bit Poster

Hi,

I noticed that the 2950 switches do not support ISL trunking, which would be a nice bonus. Dunno though if its on the CCNA exams or not, as am still reading :)

a C2924C-XL and something like C3508G-XL could support that. however I am not quite sure about the GBIc slots the 3508 switch has.

I also read somewhere that a 3550 switch (provided you can find one cheap) is a good investment.

babye

Certifications: ?
    WIP: CCSP