CCNA just about to run out!!

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by millsie, Jan 21, 2014.

1. millsie

millsie Byte Poster

After faffing about with trying to finish studies over the last year, deal with having a new baby and not being able to afford exams I am finally going to let my CCNA expire at the end of this month!!

I am gutted I didnt get a chance to renew it by doing another exam eg. CCNP switch but now I dont know what this means.

I feel I am getting enough real world experience to basically say I still have the CCNA even though it will be expired!

Has anyone else had this issue and did you retake the CCNA anyway or not bother, problem is if I did go for another role and they wanted to verify my certs they would see its expired! :o(

I know they have renewed the syllabus recently so maybe its just worth doing it again!! :o(

Millsie

Certifications: N+, CCNA, MCDST
    WIP: CCNP route 642-902
  2. jvanassen

jvanassen Kilobyte Poster

Personally I wouldn't be concerned, just my opinion though.

Certifications: CompTIA A+, Network+, CCENT
    WIP: ICND2 200-101
  3. Simonvm

Simonvm Kilobyte Poster

Take the exam to recertify or take it again when you'll need it. The price will be the same :)

Certifications: MCITP: EST, MCDST, MCTS, A+, N+, CCNP, CCNA Wireless
  4. bbel121

bbel121 Bit Poster

Hi,

If you really have the hands-on, real world experience you feel you have...it should not be that hard to recertify. I would recertify now if I was you for a few reasons:
    1- You never know when another opportunity will pop-up. When it does, you should be ready to pounce on it. If something pops-up, what will you say...hey, wait a month and I will get my cert?
    2- If you were to go into a interview elsewhere you can't really put you are a CCNA on your resume. So if they parse their resumes on keywords like most do, you are out of luck.
    3- If you put you used to be a CCNA, they will ask why you did not keep your status active. To reply that you did not have enough time to keep your credentials up to date....not a great answer. As a hiring manager, I want someone who is motivated and is reaching beyond their current set of skills.

I hope that helps as that is my two cents. :)

5. millsie

millsie Byte Poster

Thanks bbel I agree I need to get it sorted.

I think it will be worthwhile re-taking the CCNA and do the composite exam as it has been renewed, looks like they put new stuff in it like HSRP and syslog etc. so will be worth it, keep it up to date.

Does anyone know how much the new composite exam is in the UK?

Cheers

Millsie

Certifications: N+, CCNA, MCDST
    WIP: CCNP route 642-902
  6. BrizoH

BrizoH Byte Poster

I'm in a similar situation - CCNA/CCNA Sec lapses in a few months, new baby/new house etc has put any study time on the back burner.

To be honest though I work so little on Cisco kit these days I might just let it expire - just seems a bit of a waste after the time spent to obtain it in the first place, plus I do like having it on my CV

Certifications: CCNA, CCNA Security
    WIP: CCNP
  7. bbel121

bbel121 Bit Poster

milliese...I would check Cisco's site as when they see your coming from the UK they will probably provide the price in UK pounds. I am guessing close to 179 as it is $295 in US dollars and that coverts to 179 pounds.