CCNA Interview Questions

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by gunga_jim, Oct 16, 2007.

1. gunga_jim

gunga_jim Bit Poster

Hi All,
    I've managed to secure my first interview!! I passed the phone interview and now they've asked me to come in!! What kind of questions are they likely to ask? They've asked for the interview on Friday, but i'm not around - i need the job, do you think i should drive 250 miles for the interview or ask if they could postpone? Also any ccna potential questions you could pose for me would be much appreciated (if i can't answer them here, i won't b able to do it in an interview). Cheers.

Certifications: MCP & CCNA
    WIP: CCNP maybe CCVP whilst i'm there...
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Depends... how bad do you want the job? If you want it bad enough, you'll drive 250 miles for the interview. If whatever you're doing 250 miles away is more important, then do that instead.

Personally, if I was looking for my first IT job, I'd move heaven and earth to ensure I was available for my first interview.

They could ask just about any question out there, including non-CCNA questions, and questions that relate specifically to what they would need you to do in the position. If you don't already know the material by now, you won't likely be able to study it to cram for the interview. This isn't a test... it's to find out whether you are a good fit for the position and for the company. No amount of studying's gonna "fix" that. If you're ready for the position, you'll know the answers. If you're not ready for it, you won't. Simple as that. :)

If you insist on being asked a question... then here goes: Explain IP subnetting within two minutes (yes, I was asked this on an interview).

Best of luck, if you decide to make it to the interview!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. gunga_jim

gunga_jim Bit Poster

I drove the 250 miles for the interview... didn't get the job though. Never mind - i honestly feel that the experience was worth it! I was going well - was asked to explain the difference between RIP v.1 and v2, explain ARP, what was the maximum cabling length for cat 5. Then it was on to the practical - had to take apart a router and explain the insides (which one was FLASH memory, which one was DRAM), password recovery (CTRL break etc,) then the killer (which i didn't know) - how would you do a software upgrade for the IOS??
    Also what did i understand about server builds? The answer?

Who knows?? Not me!!!!

Anyway, the guys were very cool about it and i asked the killer question (basically could i have the job and if not why not?). They said i need more experience..... catch 22. By the way - what are server builds?

Certifications: MCP & CCNA
    WIP: CCNP maybe CCVP whilst i'm there...
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

If you don't know the answers to those questions... then you do need more experience. And no, it's not a catch 22. The way to build that experience is to get a lower-level job that gives you some exposure to those technologies... not a job that throws you head first into those technologies. I got my experience by being a desktop/systems engineer in a company where the network engineer allowed me to assist him with server/firewall/router administration.

Server builds, if they use the same terminology there as what we do, are what you do to build a server... design, install, configure, image, secure, etc... everything that goes into putting a server into production.

Hope this helps. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!