CCNA/ICND1 Learning!

Discussion in 'Routing & Switching' started by Ross92, Sep 19, 2011.

1. Ross92

Ross92 New Member

Hello!

As part of my HND in software dev. i've been given the chance to sit the Cisco CCNA(icnd1/icnd2)!
    Never studied anything in depth on networking and i'm really enjoying this! It's tough tho, seems like i'm going to have to seriously hit the books to keep up with it and my hnd. On Chapter 4 of semester 1 and following the CBT nuggets (which has been awsome so far)

Apart from the CBT nuggets, what else would you guys recommend for reading up on/watching to help along with the Netacad learning stuff?

Cheers, Ross.

2. Simonvm

Simonvm Kilobyte Poster

The cisco press official exam certification guides are great, they come with some very good exercices and practice exams...

You can get the icnd1 and Icnd2 books bundled now too, I've noticed... Official exam certification library I thought.

Certifications: MCITP: EST, MCDST, MCTS, A+, N+, CCNP, CCNA Wireless
  3. Ross92

Ross92 New Member

Looking at the cisco press guides now, do they cover the course chapter by chapter or is it a more general tips/advice type of guide?

I'm getting the CCNA for free as a student deal so I guess £18 isn't much to spend on a potential £1500 course.

I've also realised the CCNA cert on this forum is usually said to be a "proof of experiance" rather than a "learning method" for networking but I'm studying hard now and mean to continue that way for the rest of the course. Just a warning if I pop on with any questions about stuff I'm struggling to pick up :P

4. Simonvm

Simonvm Kilobyte Poster

I did CCNA Discovery (1&2) a couple of years back and from what I remember, what you get on a school course is usually a lot broader than what's on the actual CCNA or ICND1/ICND2 exams.

These books are aimed specifically at the content you need to know.

CCNA is indeed not your usual cert. It will give you a good networking understanding. However, it's usually only relevant for people who actually work with Cisco gear. That said, I did not have any hands-on experience with Cisco before I took the CCNA and got promoted to Network Engineer quite fast after management found out I had an interest in it.

The general rule with Certifications is that they are there to prove your experience, yes. They're also an excellent way to broaden your horizon and learn new technologies, imho.

Certifications: MCITP: EST, MCDST, MCTS, A+, N+, CCNP, CCNA Wireless