Ccna, icnd1, icnd2

Discussion in 'Routing & Switching' started by roro, Feb 27, 2012.

1. roro

roro Bit Poster

Hey Everyone,

I have just got my A+ and N+ within the previous couple months, I have been studying full time and will be going back to school in sept for Computer Technology.

CCNA has me intrigued for my next cert, I know a lot of people are going to say to do certs that relate to our jobs. However since I am going back to school I am just trying to get ahead as much as I can and therefore have decided to get some entry level certs, not only will they help me with school material, but they might land me a job while I am in school.

A little bit of history aside, can someone help me decide what I should do please ?

I am stuck between to do the separate exams, 640-822 ICND1 and then do the 640-816 ICND2, or do the 640-802 CCNA at once.
    I am just curious what people think, due to me having to buy separate study material for the 2 exams vs having to buy one source of study material for one exam. Like mentioned, I am just lost in what I should be doing.

Another question also, If i do go the separate route, and do the two exams separate, do I still have to do a third exam to get my CCNA, or will the combination of those 2 exams give me the CCNA.

Any help/suggestions/feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You

Last edited: Feb 27, 2012
    Certifications: A+, Network +
    WIP: Haven't Decided Yet
    tamas likes this.
  2. Simonvm

Simonvm Kilobyte Poster

Taking ICDN1 will get you the CCENT
    After you pass ICND2 you will automatically get CCNA as long as there's a valid CCENT on your transcript.

I have taken both separately and would definitely recommend it, it helps if you can split the content and focus on only one half of it :)

Don't know how it compares financially though, with the recent price changes in Cisco Exams...

Certifications: MCITP: EST, MCDST, MCTS, A+, N+, CCNP, CCNA Wireless
  3. Cunningfox

Cunningfox Byte Poster

Personally I would go the other way with it and do the combined. That is what I did. It has the bonus that the test can not be as in depth as the individual but equally you need to know the entire material.

When I did the exam the cost of the combined exam was exactly the same as the cost of the ICND1+2 combined so no cost benefit either way.

What you decide to do really comes down to you and how you feel about the material.

Certifications: CCNP, CCNA, MCP
    WIP: ??
  4. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

If you're going to study for another year or more, it would make more sense to do the ICND1 now, then do the ICND2 nearer when you finish your studies. You have to re-certify every 3 years and, to me anyway, it makes sense to hold off on the ICND2 (which re-certifies your ICND1) until you're almost ready to use it in anger rather than 'waste' a year of your CCNA while studying.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
    Simonvm likes this.
  5. roro

roro Bit Poster

Thanks everyone, all great info I can definitely work on.

I have decided to do them separate.

Now as for the book, I was suggested the following:
    http://www.amazon.ca/CCENT-ICND1-64...4258/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1330364893&sr=8-1

any feedback on study materials would be amazing as well. Not sure if the book I was suggested is up to date, and if there is enough time for me to study that and take the test, due to them not saying when the test expires.

Thanks again

6. NetworkVeteran

NetworkVeteran New Member

The study materials I used were neutral as to whether you took the CCNA composite or ICND1 + ICND2 separately.

Since you're new to the material, I would suggest taking the ICND1 and ICND2 separately. Milestones make it easier to accomplish what may be a big effort for you and to track your progress half-way through. Taking them separately will also best ensure you have fully mastered each half of the knowledge. If you fail one of the tests--and people new to Cisco's test format do sometimes fail--you're only out $150 rather than the full $300.

I took the composite last week, but this is all old hat to me, and my primary concern was getting to the next set of tests (CCNP) as quickly as possible.

7. NetworkVeteran

Cisco Press and Lammle have been the go-to's for CCNA for over a decade. More important than which you choose--which is largely a matter of preference--is that you're purchasing a router simulator and labs for the exam. If you don't have hands-on practice imho you will bomb.

8. roro

roro Bit Poster

any suggestions for the router simulator and labs ?

9. NetworkVeteran

I'm using Netsim. It's good, but overkill (I only completed 12 of the 96 labs). I bought it because their CCNA/CCNP package was a good deal. I'm sure you could find cheaper if you're on a budget. For example, GNS or Cisco's simulator.

10. roro

roro Bit Poster

11. Simonvm

Simonvm Kilobyte Poster

For ICND1 packet tracer will be more than enough for your simulation needs.
    If you find you like it, you will probably want real gear to practice on for the ICND2.
    That would set you back around € 100-120, don't know how much that would be in Canadian $ :)

Certifications: MCITP: EST, MCDST, MCTS, A+, N+, CCNP, CCNA Wireless