CCNA ICND1 640-822

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by hoss6800, Nov 14, 2007.

1. hoss6800

hoss6800 Bit Poster

Hi,

I have booked this exam for middle of next month. I was wondering if anyone has taken this exam and have some tips for me.

Thanks in advance

Certifications: N+
    WIP: CCNA
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Yep, I have... I'd recommend studying the Cisco Press ICND1 book. Not sure if Sybex has an ICND1 book out yet.

If you do not yet have hands-on experience with Cisco devices, do so. You will absolutely need it.

Don't just memorize a bunch of information... figure out HOW and WHY things work the way they do.

Best of luck!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. hoss6800

hoss6800 Bit Poster

Hi,

Thanks for reply,
    I have studied the book you have mentioned and revising now. I have an old router at home which I usually play around with. I am hoping that would be enough.

Thanks again
    Hoss

4. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

BosonMichael,

The "Interconnecting Cisco Network Devices, Part 1 (ICND1): CCNA Exam 640-802 and ICND1 Exam 640-822, 2nd Edition" book from Cisco Press is the Self-study guide for the ICND1 exam and will be available December 21, 2007. The "CCENT/CCNA ICND1 Official Exam Certification Guide (CCENT Exam 640-822 and CCNA Exam 640-802), 2nd Edition " book is currently available but since it's the "Exam Certification Guide" it designed to be a self paced boot camp to prepare for the exam so it isn't designed to teach you the material with the depth that you need to know.

Source:
    1. Interconnecting Cisco Network Devices, Part 1 (ICND1): CCNA Exam 640-802 and ICND1 Exam 640-822, 2nd Edition - http://www.ciscopress.com/bookstore/product.asp?isbn=1587054620
    2. CCENT/CCNA ICND1 Official Exam Certification Guide (CCENT Exam 640-822 and CCNA Exam 640-802), 2nd Edition - http://www.ciscopress.com/bookstore/product.asp?isbn=1587201828

Certifications: MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CCNA, A+
    WIP: CCDA
  5. hoss6800

hoss6800 Bit Poster

6. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

hoss6800,

If you read that carefully, you would have noticed...

Certifications: MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CCNA, A+
    WIP: CCDA
  7. hoss6800

hoss6800 Bit Poster

oopss,

I Apologise, I should have read it more carefully. I hope my studying is not like this....

8. BosonMichael

I'd have to disagree with you regarding your comments about the "Exam Certification Guides". I've got both the ICND1 and ICND2 ECGs right in front of me, and they go into quite a bit of depth. In fact, the ECGs tend to have MORE pages in them than the non-ECGs from Cisco Press do.

All that said, if I had to choose to get either the ECG titles or the non-ECG titles... I'd probably have to choose the non-ECG titles. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  9. rich1234

rich1234 New Member

Hi Hoss

I took the 640-822 yesterday and passed (relief!).

I studied with the Cisco press CCENT/CCNA ICND 1 Official Exam Certification Guide 2nd ed by Wendell Odom.

To be fair, I already had binary skills and basic network knowledge from previous studies but the book is excellent at covering exactly what you need to pass the exam. I could never understand how to work out subnetting before but now I've got it nailed, which is essential for the vast majority of questions in the exam. The included exam sim is worthwhile practice but remember to reconfigure it to simulate the exam options rather than 'study mode'.

I would definitely reccomend you get another router or two and maybe a switch, so you see what is happening and how it works, plenty of cheap bargains on ebay.

Good luck

Rich 8)

Certifications: CCENT, MCDST, MCITP EST
    WIP: CCNA, MCSA
  10. BosonMichael

Congrats! :)