CCNA Hardware

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by aquilla, Jun 19, 2006.

1. aquilla

aquilla New Member

Hi Guys,

New member here (introduction in the intro forum). I've got the chance to get my hands on some Cisco hardware.

1 (or 2) Cisco 2610 Router(s) with WIC-1T Card
    1 Cisco 1924 Switch
    1 Cisco 25xx Router (exact model not yet known).

The total cost for this is going to be around £250 which if it's worth it, is not a problem.

Would this arrangement provide good hands on experience or is there something which is missing.

Also what options are there for simulating ISDN links since I don't have two ISDN lines handy! :biggrin

Thanks for your help and advice.

Stuart.

WIP: CCNA
  2. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Hi aquilla and welcome to CF.

I can't help with the Cisco questions but I am sure somebody will be around soon that can.

Pete

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  3. GW

GW Byte Poster

You can save up some money and buy an ISDN simulator off of eBay or someplace else, they are very expensive, I paid a bit over $700 for a brand new one a couple years ago.

GW

Certifications: MCP x4, CompTia x3
    WIP: Cisco CCNA
  4. The_Geek

The_Geek Megabyte Poster

ciscokits.com is another good place to get CCNA hardware. Be sure to tell Bob you're from Certforums.co.uk and give him the link....he'll appreciate the plug and maybe could even work out a few non-advertised deals.

Certifications: CompTIA and Micro$oft
    WIP: PDI+
  5. aquilla

aquilla New Member

Well bought the first bit of hardware - Cisco 1900 24-Port switch which should arrive on Friday. :)

@GW - With regards to the ISDN hardware, is this the sort of thing I should be after - Link

Regards,

Stuart.

6. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

aquilla,

How are you going to study for the CCNA? Cisco Learning Partner? Cisco Networking Academy? Third party learning? Self-study?

If you're going to go self-study, there's a Cisco Press book called "CCNA Practical Studies." Usually there are equipment lists in Cisco Press books. The official book information is in the list of links below.

I hope this helps.

Links:
    1) CCNA Practical Studies - http://www.ciscopress.com/title/1587200465

Certifications: MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CCNA, A+
    WIP: CCDA
  7. aquilla

aquilla New Member

It's through a third party with self study. We have been advised to get some equipment if we can - the 2500 series router and the 2600 series because of the differences between them plus a switch (pref the 1900 & 2900 series).

I have the option of picking up some equipment at a slightly cheaper rate so i'm grabbing what I can. So far i've got:

1 x 1900 Series Switch (24 Port)
    1 x 2501 Series Router
    1 x 2503 Series Router

All for under £100 including postage.

There is a mini-lab setup which can be accessed over the internet at the company teaching but you are limited to time slots, and I would have to travel to London if I wanted physical access to the lab (I don't live in London either). At least if I have something here I can study all evening if I want.

I have the CCNA Companion Books as well as this

Regards,

Stuart.