CCNA course, what to do?

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by Beany, Aug 25, 2010.

1. Beany

Beany Bit Poster

Hi All,

a college near me is offering the first part of the cisco course split into two semesters. Each semester will consist of 15 weeks, one evening a week. This basically is the ICND1 (i think). The cost is £400 per sem.

I cant decide what to do...

i'm currently working in the IT industry, 2nd line support, for the last 4 years.

Doing the first part of the cisco at the college will take me over 8 months which is too long for my liking...

can i self study? what books will i need to pass icnd1? and can it be done quicker than 8 months?

or shall i stick to the college?

is there a cheaper online/home study way to do it?

advice needed..

thanks

2. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

Have a look around the forum. There's some pinned threads in the cisco R&S forum by Criagie which detail very well how easily you can self study it. Lots of people on here, including myself.

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  3. Beany

Beany Bit Poster

thanks for your reply, i will read.. ;)

4. TechySuperOZ

TechySuperOZ Bit Poster

Hi Beany,

I've obtained my CCNA through evening classes which I greatly enjoyed. Lessons are split into four modules, first two prepares you for CCENT (ICND1), and the last two prepares you for CCNA (ICND2). The exams are usually separate cost from the college fee. Since you are all ready in IT, go for one exam instead of two and save some money. The benefit with the evening classes, you will meet great class mates and lecturer and have a very enjoyable evening. However it is cheaper to just buy the kit and go through the selfstudy method.

It is possible to obtained CCNA within 8 months, as long you get the support from the lecturer. I've done it in 10 months, however my one of my classmate done it in 7 months. Hope this helps.

Certifications: CCNA, MCDST
    WIP: MCTS
  5. Beany

Beany Bit Poster

the only issue is that after 8 months i will only achieve the ICND1. Then another 8 months for icnd2. way too long

6. danielno8

Last time i checked there was no saving. Sitting ICND1+2 cost the same as sitting the single exam.

7. Beany

Beany Bit Poster

i've had a look at the pinned threads, ive got the following questions on the CCENT pinned thread:

Where do i get the CBT Nuggets videos from? do i look for specific ones?

Mock Exam: Boson Exam (free with book) ** how do i get this?

Lab: Packet Tracer 5.1, supplied by work. ** again where can i get this?

thanks

8. danielno8

You have to buy the CBT nuggets videos from their website.

The test exam comes with the Cisco Press ICND1 book.

I believe you can get this with certain Cisco books, there was a thread discussing this recently.

9. Beany

Beany Bit Poster

Packet Tracer, been searching the forums but no joy.

can someone please post me a link to download a legitimate packet tracer used for ICND1?

10. danielno8

There is no legit download of it, you have to buy the book.

11. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

One point of clarification... you don't get the Boson Exam in the Cisco Press book... you get a freebie Cisco Press exam that uses Boson's testing engine. You can get Boson's ExSim Max product only from Boson directly.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  12. Beany

Beany Bit Poster

what kit will i need for icnd1 and icnd2?

at the moment i have the Cisco 3600 series and Cisco 837. Is this kit sufficient?

13. jonny7_2002

jonny7_2002 Byte Poster

I studied for my CCNA using:
    ICND1 Cisco Press book
    ICND2 Cisco Press book
    CBT Nuggetts <-- Jeremy Cioara is BRILLIANT!!
    www.subnettingquestions.com
    Packet Tracer

This way, I managed to get my ICND1 done in 3 months and the ICND2 in 4 months!

I did buy a Cisco 2960XL switch and a 1721 router and had access to several 800 series routers for testing/playing but found that it was easier to use packet tracer! I would recommend using packet tracer rather than the real kit for CCNA(although it wouldnt hurt either way). Packet tracer will alow you to see what the packet is doing by flipping between "Real time" and "Simulation" which for the CCNA i found invaluable!

Now i am into my CCNP studies i have found Packet tracer a bit redundant as it is missing alot of the commands that are taught so i have moved up to GNS3 which is brilliant (Brilliant but resource intensive on my PC!) It doesnt have the simulation feature obviously but if you get this far you should have an understanding of what the packets are doing anyway and how to use debug commands to find out!

Hope this helps and if you want CBT/Packet tracer, then drop me a message!

Cheers
    Jon

Certifications: CCNA R&S, CCNP R&S, CCDA, CCNA Voice, CCNA Wireless & CCNA Security
    WIP: CCIE V5 (when its out)
  14. BosonMichael

It may be brilliant... but it's absolutely useless without Cisco's IOS. And it's against Cisco's licensing to use the IOS anywhere other than on the hardware platform for which it is licensed.

I hope you aren't suggesting that you will provide people a copy of CBT Nuggets or Packet Tracer. :dry

Last edited: Aug 26, 2010
    Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  15. jonny7_2002

jonny7_2002 Byte Poster

I know the licensing side is not quite legal yes but for studying it helps. I personally would never endorse anything ilegal i was just merely pointing it out! :twisted:

I would merely point people to where i got mine from..... Packet Tracer was from an OU course ...... CBT was from cbtnuggets.com :rolleyes:

Cheers
    Jon

Certifications: CCNA R&S, CCNP R&S, CCDA, CCNA Voice, CCNA Wireless & CCNA Security
  16. danielno8

Jeremy Ciora uses it on his latest CBT Nuggets video for CCNP Route.

Not saying this makes it legal just that it's quite funny as i'm sure he is very visible to Cisco (he was recently made to change his blog name by Cisco!)

17. BosonMichael

If you're advocating the use of GNS3 for Cisco studies, then yes, you ARE endorsing something illegal. It is a violation of Cisco's licensing to use Cisco's IOS on GNS3. I have confirmation of that directly from Cisco Legal.

Then no PM is needed, right? :rolleyes:

18. BosonMichael

Doesn't matter how he uses it, or how visible he is. It doesn't change the legality of what he's doing.

19. danielno8

yes i know that's why i added that that wasn't why i said it!

Last edited: Aug 26, 2010
  20. jonny7_2002

jonny7_2002 Byte Poster

must of been a slip of the Keyboard!! 8)