CCNA Changes - How will it work . . .

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by Coupe2T, Jul 10, 2013.

1. Coupe2T

Coupe2T Megabyte Poster

Not sure if anyone knows, did have a brief look over the Cisco website but couldn't see much but wondered how the changes to the CCNA would affect people with Ccent.

I already work in networks so know most of what I need to in terms of working in my environment, the ICND1 I think will be a pretty simple task to me. However, the ICND2 not so much, as we have an almost completely managed routing service with everything done by AT&T, so I would definitely need to brush up on the more in depth routing stuff such as route poisoning and some of the routing protocols and so on.

So my worry is I can easily get the ICND1 done before the exams change in September but the ICND2 might not be possible, so would the CCENT essentially be carried over as CCNA switching, or would I just lose it and have to do both new exams etc? Just not sure what to do, but my company have told me I need to get my CCNA by next April. So need to make a decision and pretty quickly too if I am going to do the current exams (or try at least).

Apologies in advance for any bad spelling/grammar etc, writing on my phone! :-s

Certifications: ECDL, Does that Count!?!
  2. Coupe2T

Coupe2T Megabyte Poster

Anyone from the evening crew? Any ideas?

3. Cunningfox

Cunningfox Byte Poster

Really simply answer.... take the new exams, they are up and available now :).

Certifications: CCNP, CCNA, MCP
    WIP: ??
  4. Coupe2T

Coupe2T Megabyte Poster

Yeah but I've at very least learned the ICND1 syllabus as such now, I could take that tomorrow and be confident of passing, just need to know whether it carries into the new exam setup, or would it be a waste!

5. Cunningfox

Cunningfox Byte Poster

I've not looked but really there shouldn't be a whole lot of difference between them, so if you could pass ICND 1 v1 now it won't take much to get you over ICND 1 v2 that alone would make me take the later version. I'll have a little look in a bit.

Certifications: CCNP, CCNA, MCP
    WIP: ??
  6. Ambushed

Ambushed Nibble Poster

You can complete the older CCENT/CCNA1 Exam (640-822) and do the newer CCNA2 after it to combine the both, this and information about newer topics are discussed in Jeremy's conference: New CCNA exams, chat with Jeremy Cioara - YouTube

My plan is to sit and complete the 640-822 before the new changes on the 30th of September, would be good to know how others are doing.

Certifications: MCTS, MCP, MCSA
    WIP: MSCD
  7. VenomSdM

VenomSdM New Member

Are you sure about that? Is there any official sources?
    I watched the video but he said that is suggested to take the whole CCNA old version over the new one cause it's much more simple.

I'm quite the same situation as the thread starter, so i would appreciate very much to know officially if i need to study for the old one ICDN1 or start over!

If i can take ICDN1 (CCENT old version) before the finish of September then i could continue with CCNA new versions?
    Thanks in advance!

8. The_Omj

The_Omj New Member

If you have passed the old ICND1 then you can take the new ICND2 and completing both will give you CCNA. I'm planning to complete the old ICND1 before Sep 30th and then crack on with the new ICND2 (although you won't have choice by then anyway).

The problem will be filling in the gaps in knowledge that will be required for the new ICND2 that are missing in the old ICND1. My advice would be check the official exam syllabus for the new ICND1 and study the 'newer' subjects missing from the older version, before starting ICND2.

WIP: CCENT
  9. Beerbaron

Beerbaron Megabyte Poster

Certifications: BSc (Hons), MSc, ITIL v3F, MCP, MCDST, MCITP: edst7, MCTS, MCSA: Server 2003, MCSA: Windows 7, N+, NVQ IT lvl 3, MCSA Windows 7, VCP5, CCENT, CEH
    WIP: CISSP