CCNA and More

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by ewqase, Nov 13, 2009.

1. ewqase

ewqase New Member

Hello all

It's been a while since I last posted. (Over a year) I got my A+ and Network+ under my belt, got a job as a help desk support at an ISP, low income at the moment although I do see a career progression path if I gain knowledge and experience.

I am looking at doing the CCNA certification shortly and have purchased books I have seen recommended here on this forum, but the going is tough.

I think this is going to need something extra and have decided that going on a course is probably the best course of action. I have been looking at a couple of options, on-line and classroom based. I wondered if anyone can recommend any particular training company, I am closest to London

Many thanks

Certifications: A+ - Network+
    WIP: CCNA
  2. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

I used CommSupport who do have a base in London :

http://www.commsupport.co.uk/

Budget, no frills training but you are taught how the stuff works rather than just cramming you through the exam. Well worth it IMHO :thumbleft

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  3. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  4. ewqase

ewqase New Member

I have come across commsupport on the net and they seem to talk the talk, although I have not had the chance to go to their training centre to see the setup.

I am quite dubious of the "cheaper" training companies after I went to see one in North London a couple of weeks ago and they had 7 people packed into a really small dark room. No thanks, they were cheap and looked cheap.

I am also thinking of purchasing a labsim, any recommendations, I understand from a few people that Boson is ok

5. danielno8

^ if i were you i would buy some real kit rather than sims. I spent £250 on all the kit i'll need for CCNA. go on ebay and search for CCNA lab kits. I got 3 routers and 2 switche for £250, can't argue with that.

6. ewqase

ewqase New Member

£250, I suppose. I have seen the CCNA lab kits sold on ebay

Is there any particular model of router or switch I need to look out for

I see that the most common routers are 2610 routers and 2900 switches.

7. danielno8

^ thats the ones you want mate.

8. ewqase

ewqase New Member

Ok, right

I have just spoken to commsupport, the guy on the phone seemed nice enough.

He suggested that I attend the free day training session that they run and to take it from there. He made it clear that I need to know the OSI model and the TCP/IP model before I went on one of their ccna courses and that those are some of the concepts that are taught on the day.

I have put my name down for it. it's free and I might even learn something :-)

9. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

Best of luck, you should be ok with them :biggrin

10. ITworkxperience

ITworkxperience Bit Poster

Hi,
    Iam also considering doing the CCNA and have struggled to find a suitable provider in London within my budget!! I cant afford to fork out a lot and of course have been doing self study.I am curious to know which company you visited in London with the "small dark room" so that I can mark them off my list.

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: CCNA/CCNP
  11. danielno8

^ Why do you feel you need a TP?

12. ITworkxperience

ITworkxperience Bit Poster

Hi, I need a TP because there a few topics that have been added to the new CCNA that I'd like to get the benefit of a capable and patient instructor to go over with me. Like i said I have done quiet a bit of self study and used Packet tracer for my labs.I would like to get my hands on practise with some real kit in the classroom.My budget is limited but I want to make sure I get through the exam ASAP.

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: CCNA/CCNP
  13. danielno8

^ why not spend that money on real kit you can play with yourself?

14. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

Don't forget m8 that self study is not for everyone. I found the course extremely useful and you pick up so much extra info off an instructor.