CCNA: 640-460 or 642-436

Discussion in 'Voice' started by TommyTee, Mar 21, 2010.

1. TommyTee

TommyTee Byte Poster

Question is in the title, I see on:

http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/le3/learning_career_certifications_and_learning_paths_home.html

.. that there are two exams to choose between to achieve a ccna: voice.

I've not had much luck with "640-460 VS 642-436" searches on google and have only really noticed a couple things:

1. 642-436 means that if you were going onto do a CCVP you would already have completed 1/5 of the required exams. (do i want to do a CCVP? good question, i'm not sure at the moment, kinda wanted to dip my feet in the water with voice as it's a technology i'm pretty clueless about, apart from skype, hehe).

2. 640-460 appears to have loads more resources (guessing it's the older exam), for example I like to use books with video accompaniment and the 642-436 doesn't seem to have anywhere near as much content available.

Thanks in advance guys, should really be more worried about completing my ICND2 but hey, gotta have plans.

2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

640-460 deals more with smaller VoIP environments. 642-436 deals more with enterprise VoIP environments. If you work with VoIP in small-to-mid-sized companies, the 640-460 will likely do well for you... and the CCVP may well be overkill. But if you work in a large VoIP environment, and particularly if you do nothing but VoIP all day long, I'd recommend just plowing through the CCVP, starting with 642-436.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. TommyTee

TommyTee Byte Poster

Thanks for that, appreciated. I kinda have it stuck in my head that I should do CCNP before anything like CCVP. Sure i've read/heard from various source the CCNP helps before serious specialization.

4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

It sure does. I'd recommend it before any other Professional-level track.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. TommyTee

TommyTee Byte Poster

..but yeah, one step at a time :)

Looked a little more into this not sure if anyone knows but is there a big crossover between the 2? the 642-436 appeals because of the track for CCVP however there is a definant lack of material in comparison to the 640-460. But perhaps the material can for 640-460 can still be of use.

6. TommyTee

TommyTee Byte Poster

double post

Last edited: Mar 25, 2010