CCENT question

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by WelshyNet, Apr 15, 2008.

1. WelshyNet

WelshyNet New Member

Might be a stupid question but can't find the answer anywhere else.

Are you allowed to take a calculator in with you to the exam?

Regards

Welshy

Certifications: CCENT, HND Telecoms, HP SysAd 1&2 + LVM
    WIP: CCNA and onwards
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Nope. The Windows calculator MIGHT be provided... but if you have to resort to using it, you're probably not ready for the CCENT. You need to be able to subnet in your head... there's not enough time on the exam as it is. :)

Hope this helps! Get that subnetting down cold!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. WelshyNet

WelshyNet New Member

Thanks very much for that - just needed clarification.

I think I've got some memorising to do!!!

:rolleyes:

Welshy

Certifications: CCENT, HND Telecoms, HP SysAd 1&2 + LVM
    WIP: CCNA and onwards
  4. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

I've never seen a calculator available during a test.
    Like BM said, you have to know subnetting cold. When doing your practice questions, try to be able to answer the subnet questions within about 1-minute.

5. shadybrady

shadybrady Bit Poster

I thought similar to Microsoft exams you get a laminated wipeable sheet and pen if you need to jot down notes.

Certifications: BSc. Hons, MCP 70-210
    WIP: CCENT, CCNA, MCTS / MCITP
  6. BosonMichael

You do... but if you have to resort to calculating subnets by hand, you'll likely run out of time on the exam. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  7. deadzebra

deadzebra Bit Poster

I've got my CCENT exam 8th July. I feel quite confident at the moment, I just need to impove on speed.

With the Cisco/Wendell books that I have, you get a free exam from Boson/Exsim. The exam questions look quite professional and are much harder that the stardard test questions you get on the CD/Book.

My question is for anyone who has recently taken the CCENT - Are the questions from the Boson Exsim on par with the actual questions on the Exam/ or are they easier? I have been doing OK with these Exsim questions, I just hope that I'm not being lead into a false sense of security!
    I have also read on other forums that some people thought that the Cisco/Wendell CCENT book was overkill for the CCENT exam.

Thank,
    Nick.

Certifications: CCENT, Network+, MCP, SCSP, BTEC
    WIP: CCNA
  8. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

I'd suggest looking for additional mock exams (i.e. Transcender, Boson, Measureup, etc...). The more you have from different sources the better prepared you're likely to be. Also, it will help if you've started to memorize the question/answers in the exams you are currently using

9. BosonMichael

Well, the free exam isn't from Boson, it's from Cisco Press... it merely uses Boson's engine. The questions from the Cisco Press book aren't written by Boson writers, and in my opinion, the Boson ExSim Max product is a higher-quality product than the freebies you get in the book.