CCENT Exam/Boson ExamSim

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by deadzebra, Jun 29, 2008.

1. deadzebra

deadzebra Bit Poster

I've got my CCENT exam 8th July. I feel quite confident at the moment, I just need to impove on speed.

With the Cisco/Wendell books that I have, you get a free exam from Boson/Exsim. The exam questions look quite professional and are much harder that the stardard test questions you get on the CD/Book.

My question is for anyone who has recently taken the CCENT - Are the questions from the Boson Exsim on par with the actual questions on the Exam/ or are they easier? I have been doing OK with these Exsim questions, I just hope that I'm not being lead into a false sense of security!
    I have also read on other forums that some people thought that the Cisco/Wendell CCENT book was overkill for the CCENT exam.

Thank,
    Nick.

Certifications: CCENT, Network+, MCP, SCSP, BTEC
    WIP: CCNA
  2. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

So are you studying to become an expert on the product(s) or are you studying to just pass an exam?

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  3. deadzebra

deadzebra Bit Poster

Both.

Certifications: CCENT, Network+, MCP, SCSP, BTEC
    WIP: CCNA
  4. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

You're quite lucky we have 2 people that work at Boson here, so you can get it straight from them :)

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  5. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

Then why worry about overkill?

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  6. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

I think Michael (one of the Boson guys) said they were done by Cisco the demo exams, so were of lesser quality, i have just got round to installing this, had a dry run, got a passing score, but glad i got one wrong so i know i need to re-revise but nothing too serious.

Not sure whether to buy the full exam, will see what they say lol

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  7. BosonJosh

BosonJosh Gigabyte Poster

I can confirm that the book questions are written by the Cisco Press authors using our engine; they are not written internally like the ExSim-Max products are. That being said, I honestly can't comment on the quality of the book/CD questions as I've never used them. I suggest that you download a free demo of the ExSim-Max CCENT product from our Web site and do a comparison.

8. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

What you get in the book isn't a demo... that's all there is. The questions from the book are written by Cisco Press writers. It simply uses the Boson engine. Unfortunately, it makes people think that's what you get with Boson's ExSim Max product, and that's not the case.

In my opinion, the Boson ExSim Max product is a higher-quality product than the freebies you get in the book - questions that match the feel of the exam, as well as detailed explanations. After all, that's why Boson's practice exam costs more than what the Cisco Press book costs!

Are the Cisco Press questions good enough? Likely, but I don't know for sure. I only know the effort and detail that we put into the Boson product.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  9. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

So i guess the exsim demo (12 questions) i downloaded was by you guys? And the full version it says with the "buy" button next to it is yours as well?

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
  10. BosonJosh

BosonJosh Gigabyte Poster

Yes, that would be correct. The CCENT/CCNA stuff on the Boson Web site was written by internal authors. It's only the book items that were not written by us.

11. BosonMichael

Kev, I'd be curious to hear what you think when you compare the two - the Boson ExSim Max content (12 item demo) vs. what Cisco Press offers for free.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  12. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

Well ive only gone through the questions at the beginning of each section in the book, and the ones i downloaded through the boson engine.

To be honest, and im not just saying this because you guys post here, but I found the questions on the exsim very easy to read and clear in what they are asking but whether that is because im understanding the material, i dont know.
    But i enjoyed taking it (helped by the fact i passed lol).

The cisco ones in the book all seem to be useful as well, ive not seen anything that has been missed in the books.

How much is the full version? Will prob start doing more exam sims next week, 2 weeks till exam, want to spend as much time on the kit this week as possible.

13. BosonMichael

The full version of Boson's ExSim Max for the CCENT is $129. You can get the ICND1 (CCEND) and ICND2 combo kit for $199.

And as an added bonus... you have unrestricted access to our ears. :)

Thank you for the honesty - I'm glad you liked them. That said, if you had thought the questions were poor, we'd rather you tell us rather than stay quiet. We can't fix what we don't know is broken. :)

14. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

No problems, if i could find fault then i would do ;)

15. Tinov

Tinov New Member

Hi,

I passed CCENT in November. I had used Wendell Odom's book and the Boson exams that came with it. I thought the Boson exams were much harder than the actual test. I was getting 60 - 70 % in the Boson exams (and feeling like they were hard) but got a 902 in the actual Cisco test (and the actual test felt fairly easy). I would still recommend folks to do the Bosn exams, IMHO you can't do enough practice exams to get you used to the experience of sitting at a PC to do exams.

There are a few CCENT questions at http://ccentquestions.com/. They are a bit sporadic but the subnetting ones offer some practice.

Tinov