CCENT Done, about time too!

Discussion in 'Routing & Switching' started by VantageIsle, Nov 23, 2009.

1. VantageIsle

VantageIsle Kilobyte Poster

Well I'm happy, I passed with a score 900+ (can you disclose your score? anyway a pass is a pass)

Highest I have ever score in an IT exam, I ran out of time too, got to question 37 and the exam ended, if I had finished I may have been on track for a perfect.

This exam was full of Simulations and testlets, I really feel this exam tested me. It's supposed to be entry level I guess the biggest factor was time,that clock is ticking!

Without giving anything away if you don't know how to configure Ip addresses, security and RIP on cisco devices you will fail this exam. In short, make sure you get some hands on with devices or a simulator until configuring the basics and reading show outputs is second nature.

Quite lot on WAN technology, some wireless and a fair amount of security was tested also.

Materials used.

Cisco ICND1 cisco press book by Wendell Odom. This oneThis is an excellent reference and the Boson exams that come with it really test your knowledge. I read through this once, then re read most of the chapters I was not too clear on.

Preplogic CCNA Mega guide by Jeremy Cioara. Find it here
    This is excellent, Vey well written and presented. Snatched from a colleagues desk (he is due to retake CCNA) I found Wendell's explanation a little dry sometimes, I would read through this and try out some of the configuration on the packet tracer.

Packet Tracer 5.2, I was lucky with this one. All the guys in our networking department have cisco accounts. I installed this on my laptop.

A Cisco 2501 and 2600 router. (Thanks again to a chap in our networking department) first job I had with these was to boot into ROMman and run through the password recovery process, I got these talking to each other then moved over to the packet tracer as it was less noisy than the 2501.

Subnetting,the old favorite subnettingquestions.com/ and the excellent Vallycollege
    I found another one I have bookmaked at work (I'll post it later) that reports how long it took you to work out the subnetting problem. I have heard that you need to be able to reverse engineer a subnet in under 30 seconds for the CCENT/CCNA (I thought this may be a bit extreme) after my experience today I think there may be something to this.

Anyhoo, thats me done, no more exams until next year. Time for some Xbox and call of duty. :biggrin

Certifications: A+, ITIL V3, MCSA, MCITP:EST, CCENT, 70-432-SQL, 70-401 SCCM
    WIP: MCSA upgrade MCITP:SA then EA
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Congrats on the pass mate. :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Well done and good write up. ICND2 for 2010?

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  4. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Congrats on the pass:D

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  5. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

well done man. just got my certificate the other day. Good luck with the next part :)

Good write up aswell, used the same book and subnettingquestions.com :)

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  6. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Well done matey!

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  7. Finkenstein

Finkenstein Kilobyte Poster

Nice job!! I'm currently putting the finishing touches on my studying so that I can take this exam before the end of the year. I've been studying (or not studying) for FAR too long.

Again, good job, no to move on to ICND2, right? :)

Certifications: MCP, Network+, CCENT, ITIL v3
    WIP: 640-822
  8. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

Congrats on the pass mate, well done!

WIP: Uhmm... not sure
  9. Trogdor

Trogdor Kilobyte Poster Gold Member

Congrats! Good score as well! Now, get fragging soldier!! :snipersmi

Certifications: A+, Network+, Server+, PDI+, MCDST, HP APS Server, HP APS Desktop / Laptop
    WIP: ITIL, CCNA, MCSA, and BSc
  10. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

Congrats...

11. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Congrats and well done ! :biggrin

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  12. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Congrats!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!