CBT Nuggets training videos

Discussion in 'A+' started by jodsclass, Mar 23, 2006.

1. jodsclass

jodsclass Byte Poster

Hi all.

A friend online who passed the A+ and Network+ last year told me he did so without using any written literature. He simply purchased the CBT nuggets training videos and learned the information required using those. I know for a fact my working knowledge of IT is better than his as he was previously an artist with little more than emailing skills. I have studied much of the content of the A+ and Network+ as part of my degree, and have purchased the Mike Meyers book to plug any hole in my knowledge before I take the exam.

Just curious if anyone has any experience of these CBT nuggets training materials? They seem to cover many certs including MCSE and CCNA. He has offered to send me the disks so I can see for myself, and if they are decent I may consider buying disks for further certs.

Any opinions from those who have used these materials and passed would b much appreciated. the disks arent cheap but may be a good investment.

Kind regards
    Jodsclass :twisted:

Certifications: BSc IT & Web Development
    WIP: MSc Advanced Computing, Oracle Cert
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

I've never used CBT's before, but they are aparently good.

I would suppose it depends though on your learning style, if you learn well by watching then they can be worth the investment, however if you learn by reading and then applying I wouldn't depend on them as much.

People learn in different ways.

8)

3. jodsclass

jodsclass Byte Poster

I agree simongrahamuk. I most definatley work best using written material. just cant beleive that a total newcomer to IT such as my friend could learn enough from vidoes to pass his exams. the content must be pretty complete. Im just curious how complete the content is. I dont intend using it for my A+ or Network+ but may use it for my CCNA, however I think ill take a look at the A+ stuff just to rate it. Has anyone else passed using CBT?

Cheers
    Jodsclass

4. Nelix
    Honorary Member

Nelix Gigabyte Poster

NOt sure if these are CBT training video's but I recieved an email from Cramsessions with a link to a few online training video's

http://www.preplogic.com/products/video/free-lessons/free-lessons.asp?campaignid=FVT

They seem to be just extracts but they do give you an idea of what they cover, once streaning has completed look in your temporary internet files folder for .flv files, you can then sit and watch them at your leasure, will will however ave to download a flx player, there are a few that are free floating around on the net.

Certifications: A+, 70-210, 70-290, 70-291, 74-409, 70-410, 70-411, 70-337, 70-347
    WIP: 70-346
  5. jodsclass

jodsclass Byte Poster

Cheers. Will take a look at those videos

jodsclass

6. juice142

juice142 Megabyte Poster

I am using the Learnkey A+ and Network+ CDs (with Mike Meyers).

Initially I was only going to use these, but then I found this forum and decided to buy the Meyers book(s).

I'm very pleased that I did - I don't think that the CDs alone would have been enough.

Using both together, however, is excellent. You get a lecture-like experience with the training vids and the in depth info with the books.

The labs and end of chapter tests with the CDs are good too (IMO).

Good luck! :thumbleft

J.

Certifications: BSc (Hons), A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270, MCSA
  7. Malnomates

Malnomates Megabyte Poster

I am using the CBTNuggets video's fro my A+.They are very good,but to use them as a stand-alone training tool,without additional material would be inadequate for the exams in most cases.
    Just about all of the objectives are covered in the course,but there is no hands on as such,no labs and no testing software to accompany the videos.I would seriously recommend the addition of some further training material,books,test software etc.Having said that,if you have enough experience in the objectives then the video's would really be more of a revision than a learning exercise.

Certifications: A+ Network+
  8. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

I also agree - CBTs IMHO should be seen as nothing more than supplementary to a main learning text (Meyers for me too). I have my doubts if anyone could pass the full exam (or both for A+) with CBTs - what else did your friend use ?

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  9. troubledtony

troubledtony Bit Poster

hi all, i've got a set of these video doobries the nuggets and the hardware testout, haven't really looked at nuggets yet as they're mainly cocerned with the software side, but the testout has been quite good or so i thought for the hardware side, i've just been doing the end of course assesments and found a huge hole in my knowledge, there seems to be alot missing on the cpu side, but are pentium 75's really relevant now, also even though i've written copius notes the answers aren't there, plus a discrepancy between the printed info and that which forms the tests, there's also some very ambiguous questions where several answers are right but it only accepts the one it's progrmmed for, only to ask the same thing later but want one of the other answers.... :blink so in conclusion although i personally like them, they suit my learning style, i'd be pretty stuffed without mr myers...

Certifications: none
  10. Gary B

Gary B Nibble Poster

From what I've seen of numerous CD based training packages they only touch on the basics of subjects, they could be helpful in giving you a basic understanding of the topic but even with A+ a lot more in depth knowledge is required and the CD's alone won't be enough

Certifications: MCSA 2003
    WIP: You tell me
  11. Malnomates

Malnomates Megabyte Poster

The older CPU packages and indeed a lot of the legacy hardware,which by todays standards are prettymuch redundant are still relevant to the 2003 objectives and may well represent a percentage of your exam.Learning these technologies may seem a pointless excercise but if they are part of the training syllabus they are likely to be presented in the 2003 exams.

You are quite right,the CBT's cover all of the subjects to some extent but perhaps not detailed enough to be considered complete.Use the Meyers tome to fill the gaps and keep plugging away at any discrepencies in the CBT's information.

Certifications: A+ Network+
  12. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

I studied for the A+ & N+ using the Learnkey video's and no text books. I have been hands on with this kind of thing for a number of years though so most of it wasn't really new to me. I also used Transcender exam simulations for both certs and found those very useful indeed.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada