Catch 22

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by MadHatter, Jun 4, 2012.

1. MadHatter

MadHatter Bit Poster

Hi, chaps, I hope everyone is doing great. I have 2 questions. I passed my N+ a few weeks back and the memmory is still fresh. I am going for my ICND1 quite quickly cuz there is an overlap in the material so i thought should go for it. Now i am coming accross some contradicting information in my CISCO book from my N+ concepts.

1- Hubs flood frames to all ports INCLUDING INCOMING port so the sender can monitor collisions but CISCO says its doesn't send the frame to incoming port. I know the former is right but what should I do incase this silly question pops up in ICND1 (hope not).

2- CISCO book says ATM(Asynchronous Transfer Mode) is a LAN technology :scratch but i know its a WAN technology.

By the way i am using CISCOs official certification exam guide, 2nd Edition by Wendell Odom and used Todd Lamale's book for N+.

What say you, my technical brethren?

by the way, i tried searching for it on the forum first, but couldn't find any suitable answer. Sorry for inconvenience.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2012
    Certifications: CompTIA Network+
    WIP: CCENT
  2. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

Why don't you go to the Cisco press website and download the errata - it may fixed in here.

FYI, I have never read anywhere that a hub floods the frame on the port which the frame was received on.

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  3. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

I don't think it's accurate to talk of hubs "flooding". They are dumb layer 1 devices and, at the end of the day, are really only there to turn the logical bus topology into a physical star topology. Hubs put the data onto their internal bus, whatever's connected to the bus can receive it.
    Even Lammle seems to contradict himself over two consecutive paragraphs:
    "Any digital signal received from a segment on a hub port is regenerated or re-amplified and transmitted out all ports on the hub."
    and two sentences later
    "Hubs, like repeaters, don't examine any of the traffic as it enters and is then transmitted out to the other parts of the physical media"

At the end of the day, knowing that devices connected to a hub are in the same collision domain is what you need to remember.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  4. MadHatter

MadHatter Bit Poster

I agree soundian that saying hubs "flood" frames is an inaccurate term to use but I was just trying ask in layman's terms. Fair enough they are dumb devices and I am crystal clear on collision domains but my question still stands, even if it is for the sake of my stupid curiosity, do hubs transmit the frame to the incoming port ? I think I will do some more searching today and will post my findings if I can find it. It's not like something big but just like a minor itch so its still echoeing in my brain.

BUT, thanks a bunch mates, I appreciate your answers.

Ciao,

Certifications: CompTIA Network+
    WIP: CCENT