Cat5 Outside?

Discussion in 'Networks' started by Gav, Jul 30, 2009.

1. Gav

Gav Kilobyte Poster

I'm planning on running STP, outside from one room to another. The length of the cable will be less than a metre, and it won't be touching the ground, or even the wall.

I know STP is for protection against electrical interference, but I would imagine it helps somewhat against water too (and I have more STP than UTP... :oops:)

What are your thoughts?

- Gav

2. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

I'd run it inside some waterproof conduit if possible. :)

Boyce

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  3. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

I ran a UTP outside one window in through another for about a year had no issues.

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  4. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Personally, I would use external Cat5 cables, something like this :)

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  5. supernova

supernova Gigabyte Poster

Dont see a great problem short distances.

You may want some surge\lightening strike protection on it just in case.

If its between buildings then i wouldn't

Certifications: Loads
    WIP: Lots
  6. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

same here, and counting! it's a risky world out there!

7. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

STP won't give you any better weather protection than UTP. If the outer sheath goes on either you'd be in the same boat.
    If you make sure it can't move around and rub against the stonework then it'll last as long as the outer sheath takes to photo-degrade sufficiently to let water in.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  8. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Personally, I wouldn't put my network devices at risk.

What's wrong with wireless?

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  9. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I doubt it would be a problem.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  10. BrotherBill

BrotherBill Byte Poster

If you're just running from one room to the next, why can't you run through a lower corner of the wall? A small insignificant hole, just inside the corner to avoid hitting a stud, would accomodate pulling a cat 5 cable through without any issues, and still be easy enough to patch again once it was no longer needed.

11. Kitkatninja

Just a thought, why not get yourself some homeplugs? Depending on what version you go for, you can get anywhere from 85Mbps to 200Mbps. I got myself a cheap set and it works great, even over 2 extension leads (both have built-in surge-protection), one at each end. No drilling, no need for extra cabling.

That's provided that wireless (like BM suggested) isn't up to the job.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
  12. supernova

supernova Gigabyte Poster

Dont use homeplugs, if your into amateur radio they cause problems.

Certifications: Loads
    WIP: Lots
  13. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Aaaaand the number of people that would apply to nowadays?

About 237 I reckon.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  14. Gav

Gav Kilobyte Poster

Exactly why I'm not using them. That's why I have so much STP to begin with.

I'll try and get some tubing, or even just some hose and use that. Thanks all :D

15. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

236, now. Rest in peace, number 237. :gos

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  16. Kitkatninja

Are you sure? There's a joint test between Homeplugs and ARRL regarding this and the conclusion was:

Unless I'm mistaken; it is possible, I'm not into Ham radio (plus I haven't read the whole article).

-Ken

17. Gav

Gav Kilobyte Poster

Everything seems to interfere on Ham Radio. I don't use it that much, but when I do I use decoding apps, which need a good signal to work.

Anyway, I gave up with the outdoor idea. The only reason I wanted to do it is because two holes were already there :oops:

I got the drill out and went through the wall, which took a while because the two rooms are actually at different levels (gotta love the Victorians).

My 'node0' is looking pretty good now:
    [​IMG]

The double gang socket is going to have a four port RJ45 socket, instead of a patch panel. Naturally, once I've wired it in, the router will be plugged into the power socket.

18. prancing-moose

prancing-moose New Member

If you do need to run outside in the future, I have had reasonable success running a couple of Cat5/5e cables within a rubber/plastic hosepipe (new so it has not got water in it). Logic being that if it carries water without it leaking out, then it shouldn't permeate in and damage the cable.

The last time I did it was to network enable the workshop (sorry shed!) at a friends house - just buried the hose in flower beds!

Only caveat is to ensure that the open end of the hose are brought into the building, I also filed the ends with silicon sealer to prevent anything else (insects) getting in.

19. Gav

Gav Kilobyte Poster

Yeah, I was going to get some hose, but I decided to go through the wall instead because the room was being decorated anyway :D

20. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

Also Gav how does the BeBox behave hanged on the wall like this. Mine used to overheat a lot (Thomson model) and I had to take it off and place it vertically so the vents aren't covered.

WIP: Uhmm... not sure