Cat Out of the Bag Time

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by tripwire45, Dec 28, 2004.

1. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

One book project I've never been able to talk about was one where I'd written three chapters (and a couple of the appendices) on a particular type of networking device. The vendor of the device killed the project when they changed CEOs. The authors were paid for their work but it looked like the book would never get published.

I just got some emails saying that it looks like the book will go live again. There are still some hurdles to get over but I can give you a first look at it now since it's on Amazon:

Dell PowerConnect Network Primer

There are a few problems, though. First off, there's no way the book will get off the ground by the January 7th date on Amazon. The authors haven't done any of the updates and editing that would be needed. Also, only Ed Tittel's name is mentioned, even though Ed never wrote a single word in that book. The PM explained that's because Ed owns LanWrights which commissioned the authors. At whatever point the book really get's published, cover credit would be given to the top three co-authors...I'm one of them (the publisher, Prentice Hall doesn't have to give us cover credit...but it would be nice).

I'd like the credit because with the Dell book added to the Windows book and the one I just signed up for, that would be 3 books I could put on my "publilshed" works list and it would establish me as being able to write about operating systems and networking.

Thought I'd share the news here. There's still a chance the book could die, though. We wrote it about a year ago and it would have to be updated to include Dell's current line of PowerConnect Switches. I'll let you know how it turns out.

EDIT: Here's what it looks like right now: picture

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  2. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

More great news, Trip - well done once again :clap

I find it really great that you do these things, yet are still humble enough to hang and help out with a bunch of (predominantly) UK-based geeks. You truly are a great man :D

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  3. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Thanks, Gav. Actually, in many ways, I've very much a newbie. I know people see writing a book or at least contributing to one as something really special but in fact, it's just like any other job where you create content as part of a team. Sure...I'm proud of the job I did, but I don't think it's qualitatively different than someone writing a program that many people will use or a website that many people will access.

4. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

OK, I take your point Trip - but I just think thats it's really cool to know someone who is credited on what will hopefully become a recognised title in the field we are all involved in :D

5. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Ok, ok...I'll try not to be so modest.

I ROCK!

How's that? :oops: :biggrin

6. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

ROTFLMAO !!!!

There's nothing the Brits hate more than a ...

SMUG GIT !!! :biggrin

(...of course, us Scots love a great author tho... :oops: )

7. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Some people are sooooooooo hard to please. :rolleyes: :biggrin

8. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Thats great Trip, its an outstanding achivement and somethings you should be proud of too.
    YOU ROCK!

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  9. Bull Gates

Bull Gates Byte Poster

U REALLY ROCK!!!

And so long as u r pleased with ur work u needn't bother whether others r pleased with it or not. After all being proud of one's achievements can't be said as vice. [​IMG]

Certifications: MCP
    WIP: MCSE
  10. punkboy101
    Honorary Member

punkboy101 Back from the wilderness

Echo all of the above trip...

YOU DA MAN!!!!!!!!!!!

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: Nada