Career Help

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by yaz2012, Mar 17, 2013.

1. yaz2012

yaz2012 New Member

Hello Everyone,

I need a bit of advice. I have been working in a sales call centre environment for over 6 years. I have now decided that I should do something which I like. I am very tech focused and want to get into the IT industry. I have been fixing family and friends computer issues for many years.

My friends have suggested to do CCNA on self study and than start with very basic IT jobs.

However on this forum, most people say that the best thing is do is to start with ComptiA.

So i know a fair bit of knowledge on computers.

What do you suggest would be the best thing.

Would i be able to get a job after CCNA? I live in london.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Thank you.

Yaz.

2. Coupe2T

Coupe2T Megabyte Poster

Personally I would still suggest starting on the Comptia route, having said that there is nothing stopping you getting an entry level job now, without certifications.

Once you have a year or two experience then I would say the Comptia are less required and you could start with CCNA.

Most entry level IT jobs such as first line helpdesk etc are heavily customer service focused, as opposed to tech focused, so there is no reason you can't start applying now, although obviously every job market is a little tougher than normal right now.

Just make sure you make a point of your soft skills and customer service experience as well as your IT knowledge and abilities.

Certifications: ECDL, Does that Count!?!
    BraderzTheDog likes this.
  3. BraderzTheDog

BraderzTheDog Kilobyte Poster

Find the area in IT which you like first of all, just because your friends suggest networking (CCNA) doesn't mean you will like this area of IT.

You say you have a fair bit of knowledge when it comes to computers, do you mean by this clients? End user work stations?

If you so I would probabaly advise going down the route of a Desktop Support qualification, and basically be the guy in an organisation that fixes the work stations.

For that type of role I would highly suggest doing as Coupe said Comptia A+, then maybe do the windows 7 configuring qualification (70 -680).

This will give you a great basis to get into IT, I did pretty much the same so I can relate to you well. Worked in a call centre got A+ and MCTS. After a year of desktop support started working in networks as an apprentice, then discovered I prefer networking to DST and do alot of Cisco / Checkpoint / Juniper work.

Your soft skills side of things will help you no end in getting a support role, alot of people undervalue this aspect of our jobs but with your experience you would be great in a 1st line role.

Certifications: CCNA R&S, CCNA-SEC, CCSA, JNCIA FWV, MCITP, MCTS, MTA, A+
  4. yaz2012

yaz2012 New Member

Thank you guys for your replies.
    My only difficulty is, I am 29 years old and I really need to get good paying job. I have done a bit of self study of CCNA and I enjoy configuring routers and switches.

I have presently working in a sales call centre and earning about 26000 gbp annually. I really dont want to go into 15-16K and work in IT first line support without any certifications.

BraderzTheDog : I meant just resolving general home user issues including installing windows, backing up data. Just the basics.

I am so confused.

5. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

You will need to take a wage drop if you want to move over to IT – no way around it I’m afraid.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  6. Coupe2T

Coupe2T Megabyte Poster

Perhaps look for a shift based support role if the money is a priority, or potentially look towards an operations role, although you would probably need some experience for those sorts of roles.

I worked as a Helpdesk analyst on shift and got just over 20k a year, but inside of London I suspect there are higher paid roles around if you can find them.

It's a little difficult to advise further than that, even if you did your CCNA I think you may find it difficult walking straight in on that sort of money and finding an organisation that will let you loose on their backbone without any real commercial IT experience.

So I would suggest saving hard and getting some cash in the bank to help make up the shortfall for as long as possible, or worse case scenario if you really want to make the move then you may have to consider a second job to help bulk up the pay a little. Even then 26k might be a tough ask as a new into IT person.

Certifications: ECDL, Does that Count!?!
  7. yaz2012

yaz2012 New Member

Thank you for your replies.

I am under a lot of pressure from family and friends.

I think I have to take a drop in wages. Can i get one more advice?

Should i do CCNA or give ICND1 first?

I have done self study for the ICND1 and a bit of ICND2. I need more time to go through ICND2 as working full time does not give me enough time.

Thank you.

Yaz.

8. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

A few Microsoft certs might help you out if you are starting out mate.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  9. yaz2012

yaz2012 New Member

Alright guys,here is my plan.
    First of ComptiA A+ : 801 and 802.
    Mircosoft Windows 7 MCTS
    Microsoft Server 2008 MCTS

I am looking to complete these in 3-4 months on self study and once I am done with ComptiA, I will start with job hunt.

What do you guys think?

10. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

I don't want to be too pessimistic, but if your only experience is fixing home computers then you're probably going to find that time-scale a bit short.
    The A+ should be fairly easy. There's a lot of facts to learn but you probably know a lot of them, and most of the theory, already.

Windows 7 is where you're problems will probably start. There's a lot of technology in there you probably haven't used before.
    However, you may have an aptitude for the material, you might also be a naturally quick learner, and you might have the time and commitment to put towards your goal. I'll be happy (but not as happy as you, I'd imagine) if you prove me wrong.

Here's what I would think about:
    1) Start applying for jobs now. Entry-level techs need drive and enthusiasm more than certs. Certs can help you get an interview though.
    2) If you feel you're close to completing the ICND1, get that out of the way first so you have less re-learning to do later. The ICND2 can wait, you have three years to take it after passing the ICND1.
    3) A+
    4) MCTS Windows 7

Hopefully you'll have a job before you finish step 4.
    Once you have a job you should look to certify in the technologies you work with. Proven experience+relevant certs beats stand-alone certs any day.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  11. sendalot

sendalot Nibble Poster

I have a question for myself. I currently own Network+ and CCENT(ICND-1). I'm currently on break on certifications due to school. Are those two certs enough to land an entry-level job? Like even if I collect more certs, it wouldn't make much more difference?

Thanks.

Certifications: Many
  12. GW

GW Byte Poster

Finish the ICND-2 exam first so you have your CCNA and then you will have an easier time getting an entry level Cisco job.

GW

Certifications: MCP x4, CompTia x3
    WIP: Cisco CCNA