Career Dilemma

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Ndidi, Jan 26, 2009.

1. Ndidi

Ndidi New Member

Hey all! Jus would like a general opinion on things.

Graduated from Bath Uni in July with an Electronic & Electrical Eng degree. The only modules I enjoyed were Mathematics, C and JAVA.

Done a few odd jobs to save up for a deposit for one of the numerous training companies. After a lil research (a lot of which was done here, certforums ftw!!), I figured I can study for CompTIA's A+ and Cisco's CCNA on my lonesome and save a pretty penny.

Fair enough.

The initial problem is getting an entry level job. Do I complete the certs before going for a job, work and study simultaneously or get try and get the job (with no exp what-so-ever) and work on certs then?

Any and all ideas, hints, cheats or codes will be appreciated.

Thanx

*Ndidi click's his heels 3.5 times*

2. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

my thoughts.

Get an entry level job.

study for entry level exams i.e. CompTIA's A+, N+ and maybe Microsoft's MCDST.

forget the CCNA unless you are working with Cisco kit. the cert without experience, is likely to do you more harm than good.

Try and keep any certifications you hold in future, in line with your real world experience and immanent future prospects.

Pete

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  3. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

It sounds like you should be able to land a job as a programmer with your background.

4. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Agreed. You might want to consider that career path instead of the hardware/network support route.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  5. Obinna Osobalu

Obinna Osobalu Banned

To add to what has already been said.... Be sure to follow the career path that interests you most:D.. best wishes

Certifications: MCITP:SA,MCTS(x5),MCSE2K3;MCSA2K3:M;MCP
    WIP: EDA7,70-652,Project+,MSP(70-632)
  6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

What Pete said. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!