Career change.

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by moontan, Mar 9, 2009.

1. moontan

moontan New Member

Hello people,

I have been seriously thinking about a career change, and thought that IT would be the way to go. I am 35 years old and come from a very technical back round (motor sport). I have had an interview with a TP but declined due to the cost (Advent) and through reading the forum on here about TP's.

I have even attempted to replace my mobo on my Toshiba lap top Satellite, without any problems. and it all works fine, but it has gone again this is all due to the power jack receptacle to the mother board being faulty, and yes I have at my first attempt have even soldered a new power jack to the mother board, but it was in vain as the mother board had already been damaged due to this problem.
    As you can see I have some in site of hardware.

I have been looking in the internet for courses, colleges, distant learning, open university and self learning too, but I have to say it is rather daunting, but not off putting. I just would like to know what advise that you can give to me to pursue this new adventure. ie your own experiences getting into your field. I think in the future I would like to do something with Network systems or network security.

I look forward to your reply.

cheers. :beers2

WIP: comptia A+
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Hi Welcome:)

Most people have to start at the bottom unless they are very lucky. So if you want to get into networking you would probably have to start in a support role and progress into networking.

The usual way certs wise is compTIA A+ and N+ and then Microsofts MCDST and when you have some on the job experience higher level certs.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. mikesjn

mikesjn New Member

Many years ago I did the residential course with this lot. www.cercotraining.co.uk. I must admit it was a good introduction and they got me my first job in IT.
    I am now a Sys Admin, I have worked on bags of different kit, Windows, Linux, Checkpoint, Cisco, Netapps, Exchange etc etc.
    They seem to have changed a bit, but so has IT.
    Hope that helps
    M

Certifications: MCSE, CCSA/CCSE, CCNA, CNA, A+
    WIP: RHCE and would like DBA