Career/certification - networking area - please help

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Pete0071984, Jan 25, 2013.

1. Pete0071984

Pete0071984 New Member

Hi I am from Northern Ireland and I have just started studying in my spare time for an MCSE course. I was advised this was the best course of action for me to take, to begin a career in networking. I have since learned that this certification is being retired by Microsoft, which has infuriated me as I spent a lot of money on textbooks. I work long hours at my job, so my study time is precious to me.

Q. Is this certification a waste of my time?

Q. I would like to know which certification is: a) the most useful/relevant and b) the most up to date and isn't going to be retired.

I've also read on these threads that an entry level job in I.T. is the best way to start as experience is just as important as certification.

Q. How do you get an entry level I.T. job without an I.T. related qualification and can anyone recommend specific positions I should be applying for?

I appreciate any help on this matter, thank you!

2. RichyV

RichyV Megabyte Poster

Hi,

as has been mentioned many times over on these boards, and MCSE is NOT an entry level certificate.

It is also not being retired, just re-imaged for the new 'cloud' age and newer OS's.

CompTIA A+ is all that you should be considering at the moment as you have no experience. Then possibly followed by the N+

HTH

Certifications: B.Sc.(Hons), MBCS. MCP (271,272), MCDST, MCTS (680), MCITP:EDST7, MCSA:WIN7, MCPS, MCNPS
    WIP: 70-686, then onto MCSE: Desktop Infrastructure via MCSA: Server 2012...
    Coupe2T likes this.
  3. Coupe2T

Coupe2T Megabyte Poster

I don't know too much about the Microsoft certification track myself, so can't comment too much on the MCSE side of things, but I would start your certifying with the Comptia A+ and N+, those are entry level certs and will help you get into IT. They are not a necessity to get into IT, but they will help.

I personally managed to get into IT without doing these, and I am now working as a Network Support Engineer and I have yet to sit any Exams (Unless you could the ECDL, as per my sig). I do however plan on completing the CCNA shortly and have been studying towards it over the last year whenever I have had time away from work and free of my young daughter.

So after the Comptia exams, if it is Networking that you really want to pursue then definitely the Cisco certification track is the one you want to look at, it's generally the one most adverts will ask for, and you can certify in specific areas as go through the chain. Check out the Cisco website for certification tracks to get an idea of what's available.

These exams will not likely be retired as such any time soon, but they do often change the exam criteria and learning objectives to reflect changes in tech', also they do occasionally change the path to various certification but nothing major, these will be around for a very long time.

In terms of first job roles, I would say mostly 1st line Helpdesk/Servicedesk type roles, it will involve answering phone calls and e-mails, logging calls and trying to help resolve any that you can. It is important when applying for these roles though to show that you have good customer service skills as well as technical. A major part of your job will be talking to customers, so you need to show that you are a communicator both written and verbal.

That's my 2 pence worth, hopefully someone else will be along shortly to advise further on the MCSE side of things, but hopefully this will give you some ides of where to start looking etc.

Good Luck!

Someone beat me to it, but at least now you have the info you wanted. :)

Last edited: Jan 25, 2013
    Certifications: ECDL, Does that Count!?!
    RichyV likes this.
  4. Pete0071984

Pete0071984 New Member

Thanks for your reply, can you recommend any textbooks? Roughly how long would it take to complete CompTIA A+?

This is the link where I read about it being retired, so there's no truth in this at all? Sorry for doubting, just trying to be extra careful this time lol

Wikipedia, MCP

Thanks again!

5. RichyV

RichyV Megabyte Poster

If you mean the older style MCSE (Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer) 2003, then yes this is being retired soon - we think, as there still is no definite date for this.

The newer MCSE (Microsoft Certified Solutions Expert) is replacing it from Server 2008 onwards.

Neither of which you should be contemplating studying for as, without some years of experience, they will be a waste of your time and money. I have no idea why anyone would have said that an MCSE for someone with no IT experience whatsoever was a "good first step"!

Stick to the A+ and then N+, that will take you loong enough, believe me - you can then look at more indepth certs later on down the line - but remember that this *should* be used to show your understanding of subjects through experience and is not a substitute for it.

HTH

Certifications: B.Sc.(Hons), MBCS. MCP (271,272), MCDST, MCTS (680), MCITP:EDST7, MCSA:WIN7, MCPS, MCNPS
    WIP: 70-686, then onto MCSE: Desktop Infrastructure via MCSA: Server 2012...
  6. Looney Toon

Looney Toon New Member

I don't understand, why would you study for MCSE if you want a career in networking? It doesn't make sense to me.