Career and Wages in IT

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by njengal, Jan 19, 2008.

1. njengal

njengal New Member

Hi guys

I will first start with congratulating everybody in this forum, i think you have done a great job and keep it going, the amount of information in here are amazing, well done guys.

My question is, I might have mention this before, at the moment am working as i technical designer (Electrical Engineer), and I will like to change my career to a network support or engineer, what advice can you give me and what qualification may i need, to be able pursue those career goals. and where can i start in IT career ladder. what kind of jobs should i be looking for?

I got a HND in Electrical/Electronics Eng CCNA 1-4, OND computer engineering and i have a knowledge of computer components.

How are the wages in the entry level, for a father with a huge responsibilty?

Certifications: Eletrical/Electronics Engineering HND
  2. cisco lab rat

cisco lab rat Megabyte Poster

Hello njengal

That is the question that most people ask, "how much can I earn!", at an entry level network engineer doing a 1st line support role I would say between £18K and £25k, this can quickly increase as you gain knowledge and experience, you have to make sure that you never stop once you get onto the I.T tread mill.

I know I am going to get shot down for this but some of the best people to talk to about expected salaries are, here goes, recruitment agents!, there i have said it. They know the job market better than anyone and they will tell you the score straight up. call one up and simple ask them the same question you asked here. I know they are on commission and the higher the salary the more they earn so you might think they would not bother talking to you, you will be surprised.

Cheers

Joe

Certifications: Yes I pretty much am!!
    WIP: Fizzicks Degree
  3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

I think you are looking at £15k tops for your first IT job mate. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

My first line job was in Swindon at £8 per hour as a temp.
    In central London, I'd say up to £18k but that you'd be lucky to get.

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  5. cisco lab rat

cisco lab rat Megabyte Poster

Look at the the recruitment sites, call a few recruitment agents, call up some companys HR depart, you will get a clear picture.

if you hold the CCNA which you said you did, (are you comfortable with the kit and commandss) unless I mis-read it and a OND, then you are looking at more than 18k in london. Even NTL in peterborough are paying their telephone support guys 19K (pal of mine works there, now in network design on £29k only ccna)

Certifications: Yes I pretty much am!!
    WIP: Fizzicks Degree
  6. JohnBradbury

JohnBradbury Kilobyte Poster

Spot on ....

You're never going to get close to £25k a year in an entry level position, even in London. However you'll find no shortage of people telling you about the pot of gold to be had in IT. In fact you'll find most CF members are really millionaires :-)

Look at the job sites and you'll get a better idea. However a CCNA on it's own won't get you through the doors at most companies.

7. njengal

njengal New Member

to additional of my thread, i used to work as a volunteer in a repair shop in the high street, my other question is,
    if there is anybody out there who can advice me, on the adv and disadvantages of opening a repair shop where i will as well do an apple servicing course?

8. MrNerdy

MrNerdy Megabyte Poster

Lots of small shops offering repairs etc, but most dont last long unless they are good!
    Try to get a job in one and see what it's like first before opening your own.

My first job in IT was in a voluntary postion to get a foothold in the industry.
    Followed by contacting in the NHS, lowerly paid to begin with but soon climbed the ladder.
    The more strings to your bow you have the more chances of getting further.

Have you taken the CCNA exam???
    If not or you dont want to what about CompTIA Network+???

Certifications: ECDL, CiscoIT1 & A+
    WIP: Girlfriend & Network+
  9. Node

Node Byte Poster

A friend of mine got his first IT job (helpdesk) £19K a year on the outskirts of london! His only got an MCP in windows XP.

Certifications: MCSA, MCSE,
  10. Toadeh

Toadeh Nibble Poster

My first job was on 18k as a developer and that was in the North West. Big sallaries don't happen over night so its prolly gonna be lower than what the TV adverts say.

Certifications: BSc(Hons), MCTS Web Development
  11. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

15-18k I would say your first IT job would be. As for opening a repair/upgrade shop unless you are good or have very little competition then you could struggle.

You might have a better chance if you had the repair shop in conjunction with an internet cafe or something like that.

Good Luck :D

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  12. Coma toast

Coma toast Bit Poster

I'm hoping for an entry level salary of more than £13k (live in the midlands) and this is quite realistic?

WIP: A+
  13. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

I would say so. I used to work for a PLC who had a big call centre in the midlands and were paying more than this for call handlers. Don't be put off by people *earning more*. What i mean by this, there is no real progression (ok, supervisor), for a call maker/handler. Once you get on the IT ladder, it is what you want to make of it.

Good luck,

Simon

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  14. njengal

njengal New Member

I am failing to understand, how people can be so nice to you. it has been a very long long time since i have chat with people who are very sincere and willing to help.

i hope the bigger percentage of the world could be in this kind of altitude and could be forward ever and backward never,

thank you guys for your advice,

to the guy who asked if i did CCNA exam, no but i am will to start from the bottom again A+, N+ and the sky will be the limit where possible. but at the moment i am doing an open university course in engineering and is so boring, but the company is paying for it.

15. supag33k

supag33k Kilobyte Poster

Well if you are on a employer paid engineering course at a University I would knuckle down and get that done first.

Seriously most folks here would not have had that opportunity, Yes, I know that university can be boring - but heck there are no cast iron guarantees and you mentioned you have responsibilities.

After University there is always time to get into IT, which in itself can be boring from time to time.

Also as a former business owner I reckon spending my own money for a business that is not guaranteed is a real folly, let employers pay for your services and training in such an uncertain economic climate.

As a father of four myself I fell that I have to give myself every opportunity to successfully provide for my family, and unfortunately doing what I really want to do cannot be allowed to affect this prime committment I have made.

Just my two cents worth so please dont take offence...

Certifications: MCSE (NT4/2000/2003/Messaging), MCDBA
    WIP: CCNA, MCTS SQL, Exchange & Security stuff