Can't wait until Tuesday! :D

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Stevie, Jul 29, 2007.

1. Stevie

Stevie Byte Poster

I can't wait until Tuesday! Ordered some parts for my PC on Friday, however Tuesday was the earliest delivery date! :(

I needed a new monitor as mine has died (won't come off of stand by mode) and a new graphics card to power it.

I was faced with a slight dilemma of still having AGP, and had the choice of upgrading my system for PCI-E or to stick with just a new graphics card. As the rest of my PC system if perfectly capable of what I use it for, I chose just to upgrade the graphics card (I'm currently running a Sapphire ATI Radeon X800 :(

I've chosen a Sapphire ATI Radeon X1950Pro in AGP format with a LG 22" widescreen monitor with a 3000:1 contrast ratio! :eek:

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=587955

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=521950

Total cost was £340 withdelivery before 12 noon. Can't wait! So excited :D

WIP: A+, Network+, Security+
  2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

I can tell you that the X1950 Pro is *great*, having recently bought one for my AGP only board.

You need to watch the power consumption though - I checked that the 12V rails were good while using it to make sure I wasn't overrunning things.

I also had to move stuff about in the case - it's a big beast!

On the monitor - you *did* test the monitor on another PC? And try another monitor? The symptoms you give could equaly well be a fault with your current graphics card or PC.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. Stevie

Stevie Byte Poster

That's good new about the card! :D I have a Termaltake Xaser III case, which is absolutely massive, so the card should fit in fine.

I tried the monitor on my stepdad's PC and my nrother in law's PC but it was the same problem. I currently have my stepdad's monitor (19" CRT) on the office chair in my bedroom. To be honest, it's a pain in the ass. My stepdad's monitor works perfectly fine on my PC so that has ruled out the graphics card.

The broken monitor is a 17" ProView TFT. Basicly, it's on stand by mode, then when you pres the power button it power light goes from amber (stand by) to green (on). after a few seconds, the screen displays 'no signal' then the power light goes back to amber. The only thing I didn't try was using a new vga cable, but since the cable never got moved, I thought that couldn't be why. I've seen a couple of the monitors on eBay, and after e-mailing the sellers asking why they were faulty, they all described the same problem that I had.

4. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

That card is good for sure, I my self am using the Sapphire X1950XT and it performs great but it is PCI-E. A buddy of mine has that card and he loves it.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  5. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

I would try a spare cable if you have one lying around, just to be sure mate.

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  6. Stevie

Stevie Byte Poster

2 votes for the card, that's definately reassuring! Can't wait until tomorrow, and I've just got some new games to try out on it, as it's the first card I've owned that can handle AA and AF in games :D

Just got S.T.A.L.K.E.R, the new Command & Conquer, Colin McRae Dirt and Ghost Recon 2: Advanced Warfighter. Soon to get games are MS Flight Sim X (I'm currently studying for my PPL) and Medal of Honour: Airbourne (when it comes out in September). Can't wait! I feel like a lil kid on xmas eve again! :D:D:D:D:D

I've said to my brother in law that if he can get it working, he can have it. I think he may have a spare cable laying around.