Problem Can't obtain WAN IP

Discussion in 'Networks' started by Theprof, Oct 3, 2009.

1. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I have this weird issue with my WRT54G router... it's flashed with DD-WRT firmware btw...

Since yesterday my router can't obtain a WAN IP from my modem...

1. Tried powering off the modem for 5 min while the router is powered off at the same time. Then plugged the modem back in, followed by the router. My modem is an all in one... basically we have VOIP and the modem is the box that manages everything together.
    2. tried resetting my router to no avail.
    3. I haven't tried resetting the modem yet because when I plug it into my pc directly the internet works. (but that's the next step I'll take I guess... I just don't know how this VOIP modem is going to react if I reset it.. never dealt with one of these before. Plus my land line is hooked up to the modem too.
    Doing a DHCP release and renew on the router does not do anything.

Any suggestions other then resetting the modem?

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Any log files on the router mate?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Non unfortunately... I have logging disabled, I will re-enable it when I get home.

I was thinking reflashing the router or resetting the modem, but I don't think modem has anything to do with this since it does work with the pc with no issues.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Your service provider likely has MAC address filtering on your connection, letting you connect only a single device directly to the line... which unfortunately prevents you from swapping out routers (or your PC with a router, as you're doing). Some providers will expire the MAC address caching every few minutes/hours/days, and others require that you call in to get them to reset it manually.

Some routers have the ability to spoof a MAC address, thereby making the service provider think that your original MAC address is still the connected device. Not sure if the flashed firmware has this ability, but I assume it does. If it doesn't, call your service provider and get them to reset the MAC address on your connection.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

That's what I thought originally as well, I read about it last night as well actually... but this has been working for a good 2-3 months straight and I wasn't swapping out different routers so the MAC address remained the same. Also my colleagues have the same ISP and router and they're not experiencing any issues... I will get another router from work today to test and see, that way I'll know for sure. Also it doesnt hurt to call and find out for sure if that's the issue.

Thanks BM...

6. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Problem resolved... I ended up resetting the modem and that worked. Only had some time today to get around it....

Thanks for the help!