Cant logon on to the internet with 2nd computer

Discussion in 'Networks' started by sageraistlan, Jun 5, 2007.

1. sageraistlan

sageraistlan New Member

ok heres the deal, i have my computer hooked up to the internet through my modem, it is broad band, both computers are xp and my computer is hooked up through the ethernet cable, what i would like to know is how do i hook up a computer through usb link i have tried the network wizard and have not come up with any results

2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Do you have a USB-to-Ethernet adapter? You can't hook a USB port directly up to a network...

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. sageraistlan

sageraistlan New Member

no what it has is a usb to usb connection on the back of the hub but the usb in the back of the hub is much like the connection on the back of a printer

4. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Hey buddy

Sure you don't mean Sage RaistLIN? :biggrin

Your post is a bit vague, but I presume you're trying to connect two PCs to the Internet using your broadband link, correct?

If so, then you need to either use ICS or get yourself a Broadband router. Of these two options, ICS is utter, utter pants - so bite the bullet and spend 40 quid on a cable/DSL router and you're laughing.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  5. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

What make and model modem are you using?

Most devices I have seen have an ethernet port (can be more than one) and a USB port.

As far as I am aware (I avoid USB) you can use USB or Ethernet - not both.

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  6. sageraistlan

sageraistlan New Member

it seems as though i have gotten my question answered and im grateful, but at the same time i still need to know how to make a link with the USB for the interweb

7. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

If you want to connect two computers you need to connect them via wired or wireless ethernet.

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT