Can't install Macromedia Flash Player!

Discussion in 'Software' started by tripwire45, Nov 29, 2005.

1. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

This is just plain annoying. I need to have Flash Player work in IE on my laptop. I open IE and go to:

http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download

and choose to download Flash Player. I agree to download the Active X controls and all that. The install dialog opens and I click Install. The page loaded all the way up to "1 item remaining" and hangs. I can go to the same URL using Firefox and manually download the install exe onto my hard drive, but when I run it, it loads in all my browsers (versions of Firefox and Netscape) except IE. I've lowered the security settings in Internet Options to no avail. I'm not running Zone Alarm or any other firewall.

I can download it onto my lab machine at home on the same network so it's not a network or DSL modem issue. It has to be something with the laptop, but for the life of me, I can't think of what. Any ideas? Thanks.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Sorry Trip,

I just tried it using IE and it installed no problem.

All of the latest Windows updates applied to your PC?

:blink

3. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

Trip,

Do you have ActiveX disabled in IE?

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  4. Neall

Neall Byte Poster

Trip,

Try setting your security and privacy tabs to default levels and under the advanced tab click on restore defaults.

If its SP2, try adding http://www.macromedia.com to your 'allowed list's'.

Neall

WIP: A+
  5. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

I've done all that. Windows XP Pro SP 2 is fully updated. I followed all of your advice thus far and the sucker *still* hangs at (1 item remaining). I've shut down everything else (YIM, Firefox). I can download it on my Windows XP Pro lab machine at home but the laptop is still stubborn. I have the installation file on my hard drive but when I try to install Flash, it installs on all my browsers *except* IE. Is there anyway to import it into IE as well?

6. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Don't know if you've looked, but here's Macromedia's installation troubleshooting guide.

7. Neall

Neall Byte Poster

To rule out everything except the browser settings try rebooting into safe mode with networking.

Maybe something in the background is still using IE or making an HTTP connection.

Neall

WIP: A+
  8. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Yes, Simon. Looked at it and followed all the suggestions. Just for giggles, I rebooted after making the changes and made sure Webroot's SpySweeper was turned off. I should download but it doesn't. Still hanging at 1 item remaining. :dry

9. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Ok, it works. I dug deeper into the help page and found a stand alone installer for Windows. I'm up and running. Thanks. :)

10. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Tried reinstalling IE?

:hhhmmm

EDIT: Didn't need to post this then! :dry

Glad it's sorted! :biggrin