Cant create mailboxes

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by Sparky, Apr 6, 2006.

1. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Hi all, just got landed with a network build today as the guy who was doing it has been called out to something more important.

I have a Windows 2003 R2 DC sitting in front of me and also another server running Exchange 2003 with SP2.

I noticed if I create new users through AD while logged onto the Exchange server I am able to create mailboxes (as you do) however if I am logged onto the DC then I don’t get the option of creating mailboxes however I can create a basic user. The users I have already created while previously logged onto the Exchange server (still with me?) are there however when I open a user to look at the properties there are no Exchange tabs. Everything is how it should be when I’m browsing the Active Directory through the Exchange server though.

To get to the point I have to be logged onto the Exchange server to create a user with a mailbox and I can only create a user on the DC as I don’t get the option of creating a mailbox.

Any thoughts? I assume I might have to install something on the DC. Apologies for the long post that doesn’t make much sense, I’ve only had 2 hours sleep!

I txted the guy who set this up and he said “dunno whats wrong”, arrgh! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Is the exchange server setup as a DC aswell? :blink

3. Phil
    Honorary Member

Phil Gigabyte Poster

If you install the exchange management tools on the DC there will be an Active Directory Users and Computers in start / All programs / Exchange that is able to see the exchange tabs.

To install the tools you go through the exchange setup wizard from the installation CD and only select the tools when asked which components to install.

Certifications: MCSE:M & S MCSA:M CCNA CNA
    WIP: 2003 Upgrade, CCNA Upgrade
  4. Sparky

Nope, I can browse AD on the Exchange Server, its beside the shorcut for Exchange System Manager.

I`ll try and install Exchange System Manager tools and see how I get on.

Just been told Im getting booted out the room Im in as carpet is getting put down, I need to move 3 Dell 2800s myself! They are quite heavy! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  5. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Tell them you hope its a natural fibre carpet, not a nylon based one - Static risk and all that! :biggrin

6. d-Faktor
    Honorary Member

d-Faktor R.I.P - gone but never forgotten.

yep, as phil mentioned, the exchange system management tools are required.
    i also want to add that i am constantly surprised by the fact the many admins still prefer to do their admin tasks directly on the server. because it really is not necessary. personally i manage isa, exchange, active directory, dns, wins, dhcp, almost everything from my admin workstation. i only access servers when they need maintenance (like installing patches).

7. Phil
    Honorary Member

Phil Gigabyte Poster

Can only agree there, comms rooms are no place to spend any length of time unless you have to :)

8. MarkN

MarkN Nibble Poster

As dfaktor says - run adminpak.msi on your local machine to install the standard tools and then Exch System Manager to get the exchange specific snap ins - from there you can build your own mmc snap-ins with the groups of tools you use most.

I admin AD/Exchange/MOM/Sharepoint/CheckpointFW/Insight Manager from my laptop... no need to be physically close to the server anymore (some of them are on different continents!)

Certifications: MCSE NT4\W2K,CNE,CCEA,ASE
    WIP: CCNA
  9. Sparky

Thanks all, I installed the system manager tools on the DC and now everything works fine. :biggrin

Also the build has been specified by a client so no input from me, what’s wrong with remote desktop onto the server to do admin work? I need to do admin work on around 20 different networks each day, I’m not sure if it’s feasible to just use the admin tools on the laptop. :blink

Dell 2800 = very heavy! :brancard

10. MarkN

MarkN Nibble Poster

Sparky

Nothing wrong at all with RDP'ing onto a DC and doing your admin from there... glad you got it all sorted

Certifications: MCSE NT4\W2K,CNE,CCEA,ASE
    WIP: CCNA
  11. Phil
    Honorary Member

Phil Gigabyte Poster

Glad you got it sorted, nowt wrong with RDP at all :) .... the Dell 6800's are even more entertaining :D