Cant Connect To Internet - Vista

Discussion in 'Software' started by Professor-Falken, Jan 16, 2009.

1. Professor-Falken

Professor-Falken Kilobyte Poster

I installed Norton Anti virus 2002 on a Windows Vista computer and then I received an error that the program was incompatible with Windows Vista.
    So I did system restore to the computer, but after doing the system restore I could not connect again to the Internet. The network connection displayed
    local only.

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia Network +
  2. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

What made you install software that was released before vista was even thought of? Did you really think it would be compatable, was vista mentioned on the system requirements? :noway

Try right clicking the network connection and selecting repair.

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  3. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

Find another profession! You are not made for IT, you're very selfish and im totally fed up with you with your 1 question no reply back bullshi7...
    ...i really wish i can take those rep points off you, you do not deserve it, and one more thing...
    [​IMG]

4. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Looking on the Symantec forums would be better.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  5. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Have you tried plugging the PC into the internet connection? :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  6. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

You could try taking the computer to a tecnician to be repaired. Just a thought.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
  7. hippy

hippy Kilobyte Poster

You need to play find the fish!

8. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

I found the fish here.

9. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

...Guys... just ignore the thread. If he's trying to wind you up, he's succeeding. If he's not trying to wind you up, then we've already told him multiple times what he needs to do to succeed in IT. Either way, it's best to just ignore him and walk away.

Considering this advice is coming from one of the loudest mouths on the forum who isn't afraid of confrontation, that's saying something.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  10. Johnd76

Johnd76 Megabyte Poster

Now I know im not the best IT tech in the world but how did this guy get a job!

there is hope for me yet!

Certifications: MCP, MCDST
    WIP: Not a thing
  11. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Well, so far as I can figure it, prof's history goes something like this:

Was born
    Bashed up an old geezer
    Spent about eighteen years studying for his A+
    Finally figured out that its easier to get peeps on teh internetz to do his job for him than work it out himself
    Lived happily ever after

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  12. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

you should join some of my work collegues in their little club, I call it the clever club :D

Installing something that isn't designed to work on Vista isn't a good idea, it's like putting diesle in a petrol car. Vista was only a twinkle in Bill Gates' eye when Norton 2002 was out.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  13. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I thought he didn't bash up the old bloke but his lawyer told him to plead guilty anyway :D probably just to get rid of him :twisted::D

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  14. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Perhaps CompTia should investigate this A+ he's supposed to have ! :twisted:

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  15. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Okay guys, please stop.

As has already been said, if you don't want to help the OP, then don't contribute to the thread.

CF is about mutual respect and assistance, and if you don't want to provide it to Professor Falken for whatever reason, then do not turn this thread into a tirade of personal attacks - because that is certainly not what Certforums is here for.

If you want to discuss this with the Mod team further, then by all means, drop me (or any of us) a PM.

If you want to constructively contribute to the thread, then all well and good. If not... move along. There's nothing to see here :wink:

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  16. mattstevenson

mattstevenson Byte Poster

I want some rep points...:(
    I'll have them off him if you like. Ha.

Certifications: Triple A+. Network+, CCENT
    WIP: MCP, ICND2, Sec+
  17. dwhyte85

dwhyte85 Nibble Poster

Not going to flame; Suggestions to come back with further information:

Can you ping any websites?

Is your ipconfig result looking like an APIPA address eg, 169... - maybe try assigning a static IP if this was the case.

Is your default gateway pointing to the correct IP, eg, is it going to your router if you have one, or if you have something like SonicWALL installed... is it pointing to the IP of that.

Is your DNS set, if so, is it what you're expecting (eg, if you have a dns server point to that, or a home user with a router could either point to the router or use the given values in your ISP welcome letter).

Try deleting the device from the device manager, i've had something similar although, not quite as special as this. After deleting, re-install - maybe it removed some of the components/installed it's own components for the device?

Post back more info and i'm sure people would be willing to help

Certifications: Bsc. Comp Sci, MCP, MCTS, MCSA, CCENT, MBCS
    WIP: ICND 2, CEH and converting MCSA to MCITP: Enterprise Administrator
  18. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Here you go Prof. Check this out for your answer.

This is the problem. He doesn't post back with anything. Just posts his questions on a few forums and hopes that someone will provide him with an answer. No info, no feedback, no thanks afterwards and no mention if the problem is solved. This sort of attitude is why the help he recieves from the members here is now, unfortunately for him, very limited.

19. Sharepointengine

Sharepointengine Bit Poster

The Error is likely reporting a service that is polling System Files (IE DLL's) that are corrupted. What this means is that, Vista has become corrupted. Possibly due to installing an Anti Virus Program incorrectly.