Can't access USB drive

Discussion in 'Software' started by Boycie, Aug 14, 2006.

1. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

One of the computers in work has had all the pop mail stored locally. The main user of the machine wants the mail retrieved and put on his laptop. I have found the .pst files i want to copy and import to the laptop but i can't access my USB stick from the desktop machine. The machine recognised the Kingston stick and gave it a drive letter, but i receive a <access denied> dialog when attempting to open it.
    I have logged on locally as administrator, and searched through Group policy and cannot see any reason why it should be stopping me access my flash drive. There are a handful of third party utilities on the machine, so i am wondering if they have some part in it.

Any ideas?

Si

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  2. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

whats the OS on the recieving end? sure it supports the file system of your pen?

3. Boycie
    Honorary Member

OS Is XP Pro. File system NTFS.

Si

4. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Does the pen have any problems on other PC's?

Are there any Domain Policies in place that prevent access to any specific drive letters?

5. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Si,

no, the pen works perfectly mate. Something has been installed/configured on this particular machine to prevent users maybe mapping another drive letter? Logged on locally, i cant see anything in Group policy, but there are a few third party apps running.

Si

6. Mr.Cheeks

prob something to do with the 3rd party app - cant you burn the data on CD/DVD or send it over the network?

7. Boycie
    Honorary Member

this particular machine is locked down like you wouldn't believe. :eek:

It wouldn't even let me break wind near it. :eek: Seriously, you can't burn to discs, map to drives, USB, nothing. :twisted:

si

8. Mr.Cheeks

Boycey - are you sure your not locked up in prison? :tongue

9. Boycie
    Honorary Member

[​IMG]

10. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Boycey - is this by accident or by design? If its been locked down on purpose but you say there aren't any GPs that could be causing the problem, do you have details of what exactly is installed on the box?

There are loads of third party apps that can prevent people accessing a USB device for reasons of Data Protection - we run two where I currently work because its a highly secure environment.

If the lockdown is accidental, it may well be a third party app has a hook into the O/S on a particular drive letter (perhaps from a corrupt uninstall or a previous registry entry which referenced an old app?) This might cause the problem you're reporting - the OS might be getting confused by mapping a drive which it 'thinks' is in use by another program

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  11. Boycie
    Honorary Member

This has been done by design. The problem being, the person who started the network off is no longer working for the company. I have looked through GP and the handful of thrid party utilities but am unable to get this .pst file stuck anywhere!

Si

12. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Have you checked out the permissions for USB access?

Go to %Root%\inf and find the usbstor.pnf file - bring up the properties by right-clicking and go to 'Security'. Check the permissions and see whether accounts have been locked out - its possible that the local admin account has been denied access. Do the same for the usbstor.inf file.

If this doesn't work, fire up regedit and navigate to: HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\\Services\USBStor

If a lockdown policy has been put in place via this key, you'll see the entry has been set to '4' - which denies access to USB devices. Only problem with this is that I'm not sure whether the registry entry should be '0' or '1' to allow access as normal - you'll have to Google around to find out the full properties of this key.

13. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Zeb,

Thanks for your post. I found both files and checked the permisisons and all users (and groups) had Full Control.

I found the reg entry for USBSTOR and there is a value of 3 for <start>.

Si

14. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

OK - I'm starting to lean more towards it being a FUBARed uninstall of something, or a third-party app locking a drive letter out. Try running Regmon/Filemon when you plug the drive in, see what that chucks up

15. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Boyce,

If nothing that you have already tried has worked is it possible for you to remove the PC from the domain and then log on as the local administrator and see if the drive is accessable?

16. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Si,

I have done this and it made no difference. We don't have any documentation in the way the network was set-up and the guy no longer works here. Everything seems to be pot luck! Can't wait for a complete tear down and re-build. 8)
    I can't even burn the .pst file to a CDRW. :twisted:

17. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Because there's no CD-Writer or because there IS a CD-Writer but it doesnt work?

Have you tried copying the .pst file to another location on the box and checking the attribute of the copy - it might have the read-only box checked (I think this is the default for .pst files)

How about copying it to a network share somewhere and sticking your USB key in that box?

Sounds to me like its worth reimaging that sucker anyway - if a guy has FUBARed it then gone walkies I'd 'probably' consider it a security risk. Usually when I've seen this at a new place, the user concerned is an arsehole who likes to try and get round network policy - if these restrictions have been put in place to prevent a would-be AUP violator I reckon he's put all sorts of other shite on there, so vaping it might be a good shout

18. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Zeb,

There is a CD writer in the machine and it can burn files perfectly from another machine. It is listed in the BIOS, My Computer and is enabled within Device manager. I have looked all through gpedit.msc while logged on locally as admin and can't see anything preventing the USB and the CD burn isn't configured. Whatever is stopping the USB stick being mapped works in Safe mode too.

Si

19. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Can you patch the laptop into the network? If so go to another PC and type \\<laptop name>\c$ and then browse to where the .pst file is and move it onto the network.

As for the problem with USB stick not working it does look like a 3rd party app has locked down the laptop or an app that has used a mapped drive with a particular drive letter. :blink

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  20. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Thanks Spark,

I have racked my brains (what i have :) ) and can only put the USB stick down to some third party app somewhere. Zeb posted two tidy links for sysinternal utilities. The problem being that this network is locked so tight and we have no documentation, so every problem (luckily, rarely) can be a nightmare.

I did try to find the computer as you suggested, but got a warning of <access to the resource computer name has been disallowed>

Si