Canon vs Nikon

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Raffaz, Aug 24, 2008.

1. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

Just after a bit advice from the photography experts here. Im looking at getting a digital SLR and ive narrowed it down to either a canon or nikon. Il be using it mainly for landscape and some wildlife pictures when im out caching. Im after an entry level camera, so im looking at the likes of the D40, D80 by Nikon or the 40D or 450D by canon (are there any others i should look at).

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  2. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

You won't go far wrong with either so it really does boil down to your own personal taste.

For me, I've always been a Canon man from SLR days. In them days you used to build up a collection of lenses and had different bodies to attach them to.

Aah, bring back rolls of film ! :biggrin

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  3. Toasty

Toasty Byte Poster

Hi Raffaz,

I got the Canon 450D about 6 weeks ago and not been disappointed with it. Very easy to use, in full auto mode just point and click. The advanced modes let you set the settings you want to get the best from your photos.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, MCSA
    WIP: MCSE, CCNA
  4. Raffaz

Whats the live view like on the 450D is it worth the extra money, or is it something that you havent really used. That seems to be one of the main selling points of the camera over the 400D.

5. Raffaz

What about lenses? Should i stick to canon ones or are other brands like sigma any good?

6. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

OOh that can be a can of worms :D

As a purist I'd say pay the money and buy the Canon lenses but you'll find plenty who will say that 3rd party stuff is just as good.

Down to how deep your pockets are really and whether it' s a mainstream hobby or you just want to point and click.

7. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

The first thing to do is go to somewhere like Jessops and actually hold the cameras you are considering. I'm total Nikon fanboi so I'm bound to recommend those, but I will grudgingly admit that Canon aren't totally crap also. :)

I have heard some of the recent Canon entry level SLR's critisised for having smaller hand grips which can be uncomfortable for some people. That's why it's a good idea to go and get a feel for them, no review can do that for you.

As for lenses, it's very subjective. Some of the 3rd part Sigma, Tamron etc.. lenses are fantastic, but some are also quite poor. Same goes for Canon's own and Nikkor lenses. I wouldn't ever rule out a particular make, but I would do pleny of homework before parting with any cash. Your lenses will outlast your camera bodies and you can easily end up spending much more on them in the long run, so it's good to get it right the first time if possible.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  8. Toasty

Toasty Byte Poster

The live view is ok, only used it a couple of times when first got the camera.

As for lenses, I have both Canon and Sigma. The Canon IS lenses are very good and not a bad price. I got the Canon 450D twin lens kit, which can with 2 IS lenses.

The main reason I went with Canon as I have 2 35mm cameras and can use all my old lenses with the new one. The other advantage is that the 450D is not full frame, so you times you lens by 1.5 or 1.6 not sure which with out looking it up, so a 300mm lens is now about 450mm.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, MCSA
    WIP: MCSE, CCNA
  9. Raffaz

Do the canon and nikon use the same fitting for attaching lenses or are they different? And if they do use different fittings, which has the bigger range of lenses to attach? Cheers

10. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

11. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Raf, your money will run out FAR quicker than your choice of lenses no matter which make you go for. :)

Camera's usually have a custom lens mount, so Nikon camera's will accept Nikkor lenses and Canon camera's accept Canon lenses. Most 3rd party manufacturers have a fitting for a particular make. So if you were buying a Sigma lens, you would get one with the Nikon mount ... and the same is true for Canon. I have never needed to use or look into buying any kind of converter though. Easier to just get the correct lens in the first place.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
  12. Raffaz

Cool. Gonna head to town soon and check them both out to see what feels better for me.

13. Raffaz

Well ive had a go of them and im going for canon, they just feel better and ya have the 3" screen.

14. fowler002

fowler002 New Member

if you haven't bought one yet, there's the new 1000D also to add to your list of 40D & 450D.

I currently have the 300D(got it for ~£1000 inc case & 1GB CF card back in 2004), haven't used it as much as I'd have like over the 4yrs or bought any other lens for it yet(have had a look over the last 4yrs but never bought any). mainly taken pictures of my niece over the last 18months(well less so over the last few months) and IoW(the Needles etc) the few times I went there while my dad was working there(bought the camera from Jessops on the IoW).

its been at Cannon for 2months now awaiting repair to the bent pin in CF that I caused back in May(tho didn't take it to Jessops till June), reason its been that long is due to the fact for some reason we haven't recieved the letters that Canon sent for the Quote for fixing the pin(plus general clean etc. came to £160. should hopefully have it back in the next week or so).

I was looking at the 40D back in June when they had the £100 Cheaque back offer but didn't get it in the end, was seriously tempted and had to really force myself from hitting thebuy button.

from what I've read about the Live View function, its more for the Studio(and Sports Photography) then the Field.

p.s. 1 post, yeah :)

Certifications: P.G Dip(Chemistry), BSc Chemistry
    WIP: CompTIA A+
  15. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

So you're still caching then?

Haven't been out for nearly 16 months now, one thing or another has meant that I've not been able to go out.

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  16. fowler002

fowler002 New Member

what do you mean caching? ment to ask in previous post but forgot :)

Certifications: P.G Dip(Chemistry), BSc Chemistry
    WIP: CompTIA A+
  17. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Admins, can we implement a negative rep function because he chose Canon please? :)

18. David S

David S Bit Poster

Got my girlfriend a Nikon D50 a while back and she loves it, don't think you can get them anymore though. I think it's worth spending extra money to get good quality lenses as has been said they will outlast your camera.
    David

WIP: A+
  19. Raffaz

Yep, still caching. 75 found so far :)

20. Raffaz

Its basically were people hide stuff all over the planet and you have to find them with a GPS. Me and my mate started doing it to make our bike rides more interesting. Check it out at
    www.geocaching.com