Cannot read CD-RW disk made on my home computer on my laptop.

Discussion in 'Software' started by Professor-Falken, Nov 22, 2005.

1. Professor-Falken

Professor-Falken Kilobyte Poster

I created a backup of my important documents and put them onto a CD-RW disk, but when I try to view the files on my laptop I cant see the folder or files. When I click on My Computer I get a window with no folder or files. I created this backup disk with Windows XP Professional. Does anyone know why?

Thanks
    Professor Falken

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia Network +
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

I have seen this happen many times before, the only real thing that I have been able to determine is that it is because you are using a CD-RW.

If you use a CD-R then you will have no problem. With a CD-RW on the other hand you have loads of problems.

Just out of interest can you see the files that you want on the CD if you put it into the PC that the disk was created on?

3. Professor-Falken

Professor-Falken Kilobyte Poster

Yes, I can see it when I put in on the computer I made it with.

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia Network +
  4. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

I thought that you might be able too.

All I can suggest to you is to use a USB stick to back your data upto instead.

8)

5. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Sometimes it's the program you use to burn it with.

They use Roxio here at work - there's a tick box, which if left ticked, prevents any burned CDs (CD-R or otherwise) from being read on a PC without Roxio.

Perhaps (after that) there is a finalise option you need to check over?

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  6. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

yes, i have found this too with CD-RW :(

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  7. moominboy

moominboy Gigabyte Poster

i agree prof. cd-rw is a handy wee tool, but i've found ,like arroryn, that specific burning programs like nero or roxio sometimes need those programs to read the data back.

not always but sometimes.

Certifications: ECDL
    WIP: A+
  8. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

I've had some really bad experiences with RW.
    Go with a USB stick if you want to move things around, and CDR if you want to make a permanent backup.
    Depending on file size, obviously...

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  9. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I have had this too with CDRW disks, they can't always be read in a normal CD drive.

As mentioned above, most burning programs support multi-session. Which means you can go back and add more stuff later. If you are burning in multi-session mode, which is the default in Nero, you will have issues even with the CDRs you have created, in other drives.

CDR's are so cheap these days it is not worth the hassle of doing multi-session burning. I would recommend switching this option off and as said above tick the box that says finalise disk. I make far less coasters by doing this.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  10. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

I agree. The only thing I use the cd-rw's for in Windows is with the utility, and it's been so long since I booted into Windows that I can't remember the name, that allows you to drag and drop, and cut and paste files to a cd-rw disk. Being able to use a cd like a 600 mB floppy on that specific computer is pretty handy.

I use cd-rw's with K3b on Debian quite a bit as it handles cd-rw's a differently than Windows apps do, and I've never burnt a coaster doing it. With K3b you don't write a multi-session disk. You just erase what's on it and start over. It's a handy way to burn .iso's that you know will be changing in the near future. When the file changes you just erase the disk and burn the new .iso. I do that with some backups too. That way I'm not burning a new disk every time I back things up.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  11. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I think that facility is known as packet writing or at least that is what Nero used to call it. It is built into XP Pro. not sure about Home.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)