Cannot delete folder

Discussion in 'Software' started by christof, Oct 13, 2004.

1. christof

christof Nibble Poster

I want to delete an empty folder off my desktop, but it keeps displaying the following message:

" Cannot delete new folder : it's being used by another person or program. Close programsthat might be using the file and try again "

The folder is empty and isn't being used by anything else as far as I know.

I looked in the folder properties, on the general tab. The Read only box is highlighted at the bottom. If I uncheck it, it just rechecks itself.

Any ideas?

Certifications: certificate of life!!!
    WIP: A+
  2. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

It's a pita just to delete an empty folder but have you tried rebooting? Generally what you tried usually works.

You might have to go into the security tab and look at the permissions for the folder. Click on your account name and then give yourself full control. Close everything and then try to delete it.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  3. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

is the folder open when you try and delete it?
    that can cause problems

but yeah a reboot should fix it, windows forgets to unlock folders and files sometimes, its helpful like that

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  4. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

i have this with files sometimes. generally if all else fails, boot up to safe mode (i use with command prompt), go to the file and delete, safe mode only loads programs that are essential, and i doubt whatever is holding the folder is essential, so the file will happily delete itself, just remember to empty the recycle bin before you reboot (not actually necessary, but a good precaution i think, but thats why i use cmd to delete the file in this manner).

Works every time!

Fergal

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  5. Luton Bee

Luton Bee Kilobyte Poster

Here's a handy little tool for finding problems with files and folders locked open.

HTH

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA, MCP, A+, Network+ C&G ICT
    WIP: CCNA
  6. punkboy101
    Honorary Member

punkboy101 Back from the wilderness

Thanks for that Luton Bee, I have something to do tonight where that will come in really handy. :D

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: Nada
  7. christof

christof Nibble Poster

Cheers Luton Bee. That's going in my resource folder!

I have managed to get the problem resolved now folks, thanks.

Certifications: certificate of life!!!
    WIP: A+
  8. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Hi Christof, good to see you fixed the problem. It's also kind of nice to say how you fixed any problems. It's considered polite and might just help someone else out too. :D

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685