Cannot create any public folders

Discussion in 'Exchange Exams' started by Vendetta, Feb 10, 2007.

1. Vendetta

Vendetta Nibble Poster

Hello Peeps,

I am trying to setup an exchange server lab, but I am having few problems and would appreciate your help.

I am trying to create a couple of public folder trees, the process of creating them is fine, I can create the tree, the store and mount and everything, the problem is that i cant add any folders to the tree itself, the box for the folder creation is just not showing up :blink the same story with the default folder tree that get created by default by exchange! I have also noticed that the defauld tree doesnt have the newsgroup folder under it and one more thing none of the trees do show in outlook.

I would really appreciate your help on this as I am truly stuck!!!!

My setup: a clean fresh win2k adv install, and exchange 2000 entreprise (a bit old I know but still does the trick) and 1 dc (dns ad....)

forgot so say it's all under Vmware

Thanks in advance.

2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Will try to answer tonight when I get home. Maybe someone will beat me.

-ken

P.S. are you getting any error messages or are they just not appearing/getting created?

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. Vendetta

Vendetta Nibble Poster

Thanks wagnerk, no error messages they are just not being created.

4. Kitkatninja

(Exchange) System manager -> folders ->public folders

Right click public folders then New (you'll be able to create new public folders there)

A. Now if it's shown there, but not in Outlook/OWA (the client end) then make sure that people can actually view the folder.
    Right clidk the folder that you've created -> Properties -> Permissions (set your permissions there)

Or B. Another Thing that you might try is this:
    Go into Outlook Client itself and try to create a Public folder there.
    Open Outlook->All Folders list-> Public Folders->All Public Folders (right click this), then create the new public folder there.

If you've created the folder in System manager and it doesn't even show there, then you may have a bigger problem :)

Exchange may not have been installed properly.

Oh, I forgot to ask have you actually assigned yourself Exchange Permissions?

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
  5. Kitkatninja

Just re-read what I posted, not sure if it made sense :blink

Didn't get home until 02.00hrs this morning (I wasn't boozing, I was doing an airport run) :sleeping

-Ken

Also forgot to ask have you applied the latest service packs to Exchange and Windows?

6. Vendetta

Vendetta Nibble Poster

first of all thanks for helping.

- Yes I have assigned myself all the permissions (it's only one domain, and I am the schema/entreprise/domain/local admin so I dont think its that.
    -I have applied all the all the latest service packs.

to be honest, I am started to suspect a faulty install myself, the thing is I have reinstalled about 4 times now with no luck !

once again thanks wagnerk.

anyone else has any imput on this ?

7. Sparky

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

does anything show up in the event logs after you try to create a public folder? :blink

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  8. Vendetta

Vendetta Nibble Poster

I was hoping you were going to try and help sparky :thumbleft
    I am going to turn on my exchange box and report back.

9. Vendetta

Vendetta Nibble Poster

Silly me, didnt even think of looking at the event log.

yes a couple of errors :

Event Type: Warning
    Event Source: NNTPSVC
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 101
    Date: 2/11/2007
    Time: 12:23:17 PM
    User: N/A
    Computer: NETWORKDC1
    Description:
    The server was unable to add the virtual root '/' for the directory '/Internet Newsgroups' due to the following error: The parameter is incorrect. The data is the error code.

---------------------------
    Event Source: W3SVC
    Time: 12:22:59 PM
    Description:
    The server was unable to add the virtual root '/Exadmin' for the directory '\\.\BackOfficeStorage' due to the following error: The system cannot find the path specified. The data is the error code.
    ----------------------------------------
    Time: 12:22:59 PM
    Description:
    The server was unable to add the virtual root '/Exchange' for the directory 'M:\network.com\MBX' due to the following error: The system cannot find the path specified. The data is the error code.
    ------------------------------------------------------------

10. Sparky

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  11. Vendetta

Vendetta Nibble Poster

Yes sparky the drive M: is there, I have checked IIS and the exchange/public/Exadmin are all there but showing errors.

the service is installed and running.

12. Sparky

What are the errors in IIS?

Have you tried accessing webmail? On the exchange server type https:\\localhost\exchange and then logon with the administrator account.

It looks like IIS is playing up for some reason, have you tried restarting the service?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/259373

13. Vendetta

Vendetta Nibble Poster

these are the errors :
    Event Source: NNTPSVC
    Time: 12:50:07 PM
    Description:
    The server was unable to add the virtual root '/' for the directory '/Internet Newsgroups' due to the following error: The parameter is incorrect. The data is the error code.
    -----------------------------
    Time: 12:50:07 PM
    Description:
    The server was unable to add the virtual root '/Exchange' for the directory 'M:\wladcasa.com\MBX' due to the following error: The system cannot find the path specified. The data is the error code.
    -----------------

I can access webmail.

from the KB that you pointed out:

Despite the logged events and the virtual directories that show an error state in Internet Services Manager, this is not an issue, and the operations of the Exchange Virtual Server is not affected. You can successfully browse the virtual directories in the Internet Services Manager and connect to them by using the Web client.

14. Vendetta

Vendetta Nibble Poster

sparky I have restarted the IIS service, now it works, still showing error in the IIS admin console but it works now !!!!! Thanks for the help mate !!! :thumbleft

But I still would like to know what happened.

15. Sparky

16. Vendetta

Vendetta Nibble Poster

cheers sparky & wagnerk for the help.