Cancelling Windows restart after process initiated

Discussion in 'Software' started by dgwl, Nov 14, 2007.

1. dgwl

dgwl Bit Poster

Not sure if this is the right Forum to post this in, but just a quick question:

Is it possible to cancel a Restart if you have already initiated it? E.g. "Windows update has successfully installed, please restart to complete," hit the restart button for windows to restart but realise that something you were working on wasn't saved.

Before you ask, it's not a word document where a draft or restored information/data was kept temporary, it was a game i was playing and i was just about to complete it (GAH!) - saving wasn't possible and i had to continue the game with the pc switched on for last 3 days. I think i was about 5 minutes away from completing the game... ugh.

WIP: MCSE, A+, CCNA
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

If you type shutdown /a at the command line you might be able to get out of it. 8)

Link
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/317371

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. dgwl

dgwl Bit Poster

Thx for the quick reply.

My next question would be, is there a shortcut to command prompt using the windows key? e.g. Windows key + d = show desktop.

4. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Maybe try doing a ctrl+alt+delete very quickly and stopping the process.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  5. dgwl

dgwl Bit Poster

What is the process name for "windows restart" Mr Lee?

[edit] oh and i tried in command prompt "shutdown /a" and it works like a treat :) Told me a shutdown process wasn't intiated so i.e. it must work when one is initiated.

6. Sparky

Browse to the exe at C:\windows\system32\cmd.exe and right click on the exe, select properties. In there you can change the shortcut key which is currently set to none. Press a key and it will change it to CTRL + ALT + <the key you have selected>

Happy days! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  7. dgwl

dgwl Bit Poster

Doh! The basics hahha. Thanks Sparky, i understand why you have that username now 8)

Oh and FYI, i am definately not starting that game again! :oops:

8. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

It may seem pointless, but you can create a little desktop icon to shutdown /a, then give it a nice little icon image. Just create a new shortcut on your desktop, with the command as the target.

That little trick earned me more than a few beers and wine when Sasser was doing the rounds :biggrin

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  9. Sparky

Now that takes me back! :biggrin

10. dgwl

dgwl Bit Poster

That's not a bad idea Jakamoko! Next question:

How to make a .bat file to execute "command prompt>shutdown /a" ?

I really need to keep up my studies :rolleyes:

11. Sparky

Put this in a text file C:\windows\system32\shutdown.exe /a

Save as a .bat file and your done. 8)

12. dgwl

dgwl Bit Poster

Doh! Thanks Sparky, i err knew it was err that easy ! i just wanted to test you! Thats right :D

13. Sparky

LOL! :biggrin

14. ManicD

ManicD Byte Poster

It might be my computer is just to fast but i had that setup in a batch file and a shortcut in quick launch, I have never been quick enough to stop the shutdown.

Once teh actual shutdown process has started your stuck, its only if someone has started a remote shutdown and its counting down that you can stop it

Certifications: MCSA, N+, A+(Tech), ECDL
    WIP: 70-294, 70-298