Can you put my mind at rest please?

Discussion in 'A+' started by Leighgough, Mar 20, 2006.

1. Leighgough

Leighgough New Member

Hi all.

I have been reading through loads of info here today and just wanted some educated opinions on something.

There is lots of talk about the revision of CompTIA A+ in Oct / Nov 06 but I have just ordered the Mike Myers all in one version 5 this weekend. I intend to study from home on my own and am now a little concerned about the time frame involved. Do you think that I will have the time to prepare for the exams before they change? Does anyone else share the same concerns as me.

Thanks in advance.

Certifications: Working on this!
  2. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

hmm i think i may be the wrong person cause im the one filling the gaps in the rumour mill but im not sure as i read the same thing! Comptia have said it off record an update is in the pipeline but it could take months cause they have not even beta yet... i say june or july or even august.. around there... btw this is my opinion.. even when they do they dont get rid of the old exam that quick... so dont worry even when they update you will be allowed to finish! Oh and as a security measure do atleat one of the exams ASAP it helps! I think you have plenty of time so get studying! :biggrin

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  3. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Most people apparently take about 6 months to learn the material for the A+. So if you start now you should be ok.

Whenever Comptia update their exams there is usually a six month or so roll over period, meaning that you can take either the outgoing exam, or the new exam. Either way yous end up with the same cert.

8)

4. Leighgough

Leighgough New Member

Thanks guys looks like I will need to get busy then :D, out of curiosity do CompTIA tend to change things drastically? I would of thought that much of the info would would carry over?

Certifications: Working on this!
  5. Malnomates

Malnomates Megabyte Poster

If you start your studies now,you will most likely be ready to take the 2003 objectives exam before it is revamped to the 2006 version.If you have previous experience in IT the time required will be less than that for someone with no experience (stating the obvious there,but it will help in estimating how long you'd expect to have before you are ready to take the exams!).

I've been studying since January and will feel comfortable taking my exams by the end of May,all going to plan.

If you download the exam objectives from CompTia and elect to take the exam within the next 6 months,you will be sent the 2003 objectives so you can prettymuch safely say you are going to sit the current 2003 syllabus.

Hope this helps..

Certifications: A+ Network+
  6. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

from 2001 to 2003 they didnt change much but apprently there is a big upgrade this time! 8)

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics