Can you complete A+ and MCDST in six months from no IT experience?

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by curious cathy, Jul 14, 2009.

1. curious cathy

curious cathy New Member

Hi all,

I need some advice and guidance.

i would like to study A+ and MCDST and this collage offers at home training for £800 for six months.

I am wondering how many hours of studying you need per a day for 5 days of the week and if it is realistic and achievable, considering that i have had no experience in IT.

Am i getting conned?

Thanks

2. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

It might be a good idea to introduce yourself properly in the appropriate section of the forum - Link is here

But... in answer to your question, yes I think so.

You'd need to put in a lot of study time. In all honesty if it were me I'd do it at home through self-study (a lot of information on this can be found in the relevant forum sections).

The benefit to this is that there's no time limit, so if you pick it up really quickly then you might even do it in less than six months!

Hope this helps.

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  3. Evilwheato

Evilwheato Kilobyte Poster

I'ld say it's achievable. Both exams don't require any "commercial" IT experience, just an understanding of what they're trying to teach you.

If you don't currently work, you could easily take each exam in a month and a half.
    If you do work, then you're looking at a lot more hours- I'ld say 4+ hours a day at least.

4. j3ff3

j3ff3 New Member

well I'm going to try to do the whole MCDST in under a month (thats 70-271&272). I don't see why its not possible if you dedicate 8-9 hours a day to it. I mean Firebrand teaches you it in 4 days apparantly....

(the books are mighty big though...... but we'll see.... I did it for Alevels so why not)

5. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

learning whats in the book is one thing. Taking the exam is a learning experience in it's self.

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  6. tysfoot

tysfoot Byte Poster

£8000 is a joke, why are you paying so much

Ive nearly completed my A+ and my next step is mcdst both will be done by self study. all you need is lots of books, good quality practice exams, free videos and a computer to study with. A+ will have cost me £350 inc exams and MCDST will cost me about £400 ish

Certifications: A+
    WIP: MCDST, N+