Can someone take a look at my CV please?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Morpeth, Jan 9, 2010.

1. Morpeth

Morpeth Bit Poster

Ok, next month I get a couple of certs (if I pass (I will)) so I guess this is when I will start looking for an IT job. A first line support role.

I have already started on my CV for this, but I am pretty clueless, even after reading the CV workshops here. I dont have much experience beyond my entry level certs. I was the IT go-to person in this small business I was at the last two years, so I'm trying to make this look like 'official' IT experience. Apart from that its all personal experience really.

Please, if you dont mind, take a look at it and say how I can improve, and like I said I'm clueless so dont expect much from this first attempt.

View attachment fake.doc

Certifications: A+ N+
    WIP: LPIC CCNA
  2. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

Firstly change the fonts around, Caslon is used for Print and not Screen because its difficult to read on a monitor, so change it to Arial Narrow or something.

Title your "summary" at the top, then put your skills afterwards and change that to bullet points, no one wants to sift through 2 paragraphs to see what you can ACTUALLY Do.

Put your qualifications afterwards, it isn't important when you got them, so remove the dates

then your work experience.

Change your summary around, it's a bit lamen, a bit boring, and just kind of states you want a job. change it too "looking to advance into the IT industry whilst focussing on improving my IT skillset in the long term" or some bollocks like that.

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  3. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Yeah, it's not bad, but it's a bit backwards.

Usually the personal summary and key achievements and skills come first (in a short, easy to read format such as bullets). Then work experience (again, highlighting achievements rather than just giving a job description), followed by education, followed by anything else.

There is some confusion about certs counting as education or 'qualifications'.
    It's a good idea to keep them seperate. Some employers only count school and university as 'education' and may be confused by certs. Some forms don't give you anywhere else to put them, so you need to make a judgement call.

I try to keep education, certs and professional memberships seperate.

I'd try to give it some continuity and 'theme'. You only get a few seconds to capture someone's attention and at the moment your CV screams 'dull' (no offence). Break it up a bit and make it look a bit lighter. A nicer font would be good too.

:biggrin

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  4. Morpeth

Morpeth Bit Poster

Alright nice one thanks very much for input.

1) font sucks
    2) Layout is unclear
    3) Too dense

This helps

Ok I can change the employment history to be more achivement based.

And yes now I'm wondering for myself why it needs to be so long also - will truncate

Thanks for comments.

But what I really need help with is the content not the presentation. How can I sound more appealing on this CV to potential employers of 1stline help desk monkeys.

Certifications: A+ N+
    WIP: LPIC CCNA
  5. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Ah.
    Content is difficult. Unfortunately the only person who knows what you did and when you did it is you.
    What will appeal to an employer really depends on the requirements of the particular job is.
    The sad thing is that you will need to tweak your CV for every job you apply for.

If they are looking for an administrator, you need to wring out every bit of administration experience you have.
    If they want a desktop support guy, likewise.

You just need to rewrite the exact same thing with a different twist on it.

Layout an presentation stays the same, so that's the first thing to get right! :biggrin

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD